Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powered USB hub?

Hi Everyone, 

My laptop for image capture has 2 USB ports (1 × 3.0 and 1 x 2.0).

• Asi imaging camera (usb cable connected to laptop)
  • Guide camera (connected to asi hub)
  • Motorized focuser (connected to 2 way usb splitter in 2.0 port)
  • Filter wheel (connected to asi hub)
  • Mount (connected to 2 way usb splitter in 2.0 port)

But I'm getting some intermittent dropped connections. I thought these may have been due to ASCOM driver issues originally, but now I think it's the usb ports.

I think I need a powered usb hub as when I connect the devices directly to the laptop ports I don't seem to get the connection issues.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good powered usb hub with 12v supply? So far I've only found this Anker one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9pa/Charging-Power-Adapter-VL812-B2-Chipset-updated-Firmware/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489955472&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+12v+usb+hub

Andy.

A good powered Hub is a Mother Board with sufficient USB Port to cover your kit, this way there will be no dropouts as there is only one hub, bit extreme well depends if you want reliable connection mine run for 2-3 years no problems with USB all 7 ports in use....

My daughter bought me an Advent 7 port powered USB multi hub for Christmas, not exactly industrial quality. It didn't work initially with 10 metres of  low quality extended USB cables but I now connect to the laptop with a Bluerigger powered USB cable and since then it has worked faultlessly. However,  it's still early days.

Just now, Andyb90 said:

Do you know if that hub works with a 12v cigarette lighter type cable?

Andy.

Hi Andy

Yes it will - I modified mine to have the standard 2.1mm socket but if you get a standard cable with a cigar plug on one end you can chop the plug off the other end and bare the wires which will terminate into the plug/socket provided. Alternatively you could make your own cable if you're handy with a soldering iron.

There's some at a good price here - they really are very good, reliable hubs and don't fail when the temperature drops below zero.

Hope that makes sense!

Rich :icon_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Hi Andy

Yes it will - I modified mine to have the standard 2.1mm socket but if you get a standard cable with a cigar plug on one end you can chop the plug off the other end and bare the wires which will terminate into the plug/socket provided. Alternatively you could make your own cable if you're handy with a soldering iron.

There's some at a good price here - they really are very good, reliable hubs and don't fail when the temperature drops below zero.

Hope that makes sense!

Rich :icon_biggrin:

I think I understand, so would the wires clip into the green sockets shown below on the left of the unit? A bit like the type of sockets you get on AV units.

ST4200USBM.B.jpg.e67862b07afc8002edb804b9d509fa08.jpg

Andy

Just now, Andyb90 said:

I think I understand, so would the wires clip into the green sockets shown below on the left of the unit? A bit like the type of sockets you get on AV units.

ST4200USBM.B.jpg.e67862b07afc8002edb804b9d509fa08.jpg

Andy

It's difficult to see from the picture, but the green power connector is a plug and socket affair - the conductors don't clip in a la speaker connectors on domestic amps, they screw into a plug that locates in a socket.

It ships with a plug that snaps into this socket. It's seen on your other pictures. It's a variant that allows you to secure the wires with screws. It then snaps in or out the main unit.

I have three similar units and they are great.

/Jesper

On 3/19/2017 at 21:13, RichLD said:

I've used a Star Tech Industrial Hub for years and it's never let me down. The same hub comes in a 7 port configuration - no usb 3.0 though.

HTH

Rich

There is a usb3 version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-Industrial-USB-3-0/dp/B00V6ADRQC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1490437052&sr=8-10&keywords=startech+usb+hub

BTW I've used the Startech 7 Port Industrial unit for around 5 years never let me down :)

Steve

Archived