Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book Surprise

Being a big fan of the Apollo Missions I ordered the book "Failure is not an Option" by Gene Krantz from a book dealer in the USA via Amazon. The book was second hand and described as in good condition. When it arrived yesterday I wasn't very impressed with their idea of "good condition", it has several small tears, lots of creases and one corner is crushed. Anyway upon opening it there is a signature which is dated 4th December 2004, and references the Kennedy Space Center. I puzzled over it for a while before sending a photo to a friends wife who deals with signatures and old documents fairly often in her work and also as a hobby. She came back to me with a surprising answer fairly quickly, I thought I would post a photo here to see if anyone arrives at the same conclusion.

20170314_131843.jpg

IMG-20170313-WA0001.jpeg

I can't read the signature, but I was thinking that a book titled Failure is not an Option would fit nicely next to books as Safety is Number One Priority and Resistance is Futile.

Is it a good book?

Just googled "sutherland kennedy space center 2004", there is someone called David Sutherland who is connected with the place. The signature in the OP could be a Dav**.....Sutherland.

Googled David Sutherland and it could be one of many: British Army Officer,Author,Professor in oceanography.............

I can't read any of that handwriting (handwriting in general looks like doodling to me) so no idea what it says but I've seen quite a lot of Gene Krantz in various documentaries, mostly about Apollo 13, and found him an interesting character.

Should be a good book. 

Thanks everyone, I'm still skeptical but according to my friends wife the signature belongs to Donald Sutherland (father of Kiefer Sutherland) who starred in the film "Space Cowboys" which was in part filmed at Kennedy Space Center. The film predates the signature so it could of been some kind of function which took place later at KSC, but I've not been able to find out anything to that regard. Looking online at the few samples available, it doesn't appear particularly similar as he seems to write "Donald" in full rather then initials, so to be honest, I'm not convinced.

I've got a feeling I may never know for certain who the signature belongs too (any other suggestions welcome) but I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the book.

I am not an expert.

I have googled for famous Sutherlands and found only one whose signature is similar to the one here.

I suggest the first letter may be a J and matches a famous opera singer in many of her signatures, as does the S in Sutherland.

No idea what Joan Sutherland has to do with the book or Kennedy Space Centre.

Do I get the prize?

Archived