Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observe Venus during dusk and dawn twilights of same night

14 hours ago, Phil Fargaze said:

I wonder if this will still be possible from the  24th till the 26th? On those dates I`ll be camped out in an ideal location with excellent low horizons so I will give it a go. 

Well, given that Venus is (a) at conjunction on the 25th and (b) anyway visible in broad daylight, there is no reason why not as long as you have a decent horizon (and are extra careful about the Sun!)

I did a check for the evening of Friday 24th and with the sun having just set, Venus is about 4° alt. I might have to try for Venus before sunset, depending on horizon obstructions (trees). Although I have observed down to 4° from this location before. I will take extreme care to avoid the sun. At sunrise on the 25th, Venus is about 6° ahead of the Sun so that should be an easier prospect. 

I do like an observing challenge! What happens next will be decided by the weather!

Thanks for sharing the chart. Venus has been putting on a fine display most of the year, during daylight hours. I spotted it this evening through the high haze at around 5pm with the sun still fairly high, but Venus was well away from it. Hopefully I am going to get to see it as it approaches a phase of around 1-2%, weather/conditions permitting.  

So does this mean we will see it in the East where the sun rises in the morning?  I know where to find it in West in the evening - you can't miss it there LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed it last night/this morning from Derbyshire for the first time - first found out about this phenomenon in 2001 but didn't manage it then or in 2009 so really pleased to have achieved it this year. Won't manage it tonight either as cloudy here :sad: It might be manageable for the next couple of days, so good luck to anyone still hoping!

Images taken yesterday at 18h 52m (upper) and today at 05h 36m (lower). Venus was higher when I took the evening shot so that appears better:

P1050185.thumb.JPG.0b5603c8b9c5a45b846e80be6ea7d162.JPG

P1050232.thumb.JPG.4898166f30adb0d0e6720b4ef3eec57b.JPG

On 09/03/2017 at 16:42, BinocularSky said:

One way to eliminate the Sun hazard is to ensure that it is occulted by an obstacle (e.g. building, fence....)

Blocking the Sun can be done earlier in the day too, and sweeping the sky above the blocked Sun with binoculars in mid afternoon will reveal the slender crescent against a blue sky. In a scope too its a splendid daytime object to hunt and study. Theres generally less turbulence when the planet is high, so its really worth the effort.

Mike

2017-03-20 Venus Mike H Tak FC 100 DL-1.jpg

On Friday 24th there was low level haze/cloud so I didn't get to see Venus then. I got a picture of Venus on the Saturday morning at 5.35 am (attached) complete with bird. Venus is just above right of centre. So I tried on Saturday evening and waited for the Sun to reach the horizon. Someone else near me glimpsed Venus with binoculars through a gap in the low level haze  but I was unfortunately unable to see it before it was too late! I`ll just have to give it a try next time. 

IMGP9820.JPG

Archived