SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BASIC:: How to observe planets. I have Celestron PowerSeeker 50 AZ. EP: 4mm, 20mm, 15mm BARROW LENS[3x]. What combination should I use for viewing Jupiter and moon

Hi. First I would find it in the 20mm. It will be a bit small so quickly change it to 20mm with the barlow. That's what worked best for me in my 70mm scope. The barlow will make things dimmer but for Jupiter, I found that a good thing. The 4mm won't be clear enough and it's a pain to keep things in the field of view.

Hope that works for you too.(That's all about jupiter- for the moon just try all the eyepieces as you won't lose the moon)

Scope is 600mm focal length. For Jupiter you will need about 60x magnification, so that means an eyepiece of 10mm. That however is a sort of minimal requirement, 80x would be better but that I suspect is at or beyond the scope's capabilities.

Next get it realised that Jupiter will never be big, it is not going to fill the eyepiece and have you mesmerised for hours. The pictures you see of Jupiter are taken with a scope that will have cost thousands, one or two will have used images from Hubble and passing satellites.

When Saturn appears then you will need something up around 100x to 120x, best I have seen Saturn was at 125x that being a Tal 100RS and an 8mm eyepiece. For 100x you need a 6mm eyepiece. And 100x may be a bit low. I seriously suspect that 100x and 120x are beyond what the scope can deliver.

Try the eyepieces supplied but they are likely not going to be a great deal of use. The manufacturers do not supply good eyepieces or barlows. I generally disregard the supplied items and go straight to suggesting options to go purchase.

Archived