SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Questions about SkyTee-2

andy435

Looking for alt azinuth mount to support a Skywatcher 150P. The SkyTee-2 looks like a mount that can handle the payload of this telescope.

How portable is this mount compared to other alt az mounts like AZ4?

There aren't much information about this mount. I was hoping anyone here who have this mount or have experience with it to chime in.

Thank you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy

It's a good deal heavier than an AZ4 but I'd still call it portable.  With that heaviness comes a step up in sturdiness plus the advantage of being able to mount two scopes at the same time if desired.  One other difference to the AZ4 is that you definitely need the stainless steel tripod rather than the lighter aluminium tripod that you can use with the AZ4.

I found the SkyTee to be a really good mount although I know others have their frustrations, principally with some of the aspects of the design.  I think there was a recent discussion on here about it - you might want to do a search.

Paul

19 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Hi Andy

It's a good deal heavier than an AZ4 but I'd still call it portable.  With that heaviness comes a step up in sturdiness plus the advantage of being able to mount two scopes at the same time if desired.  One other difference to the AZ4 is that you definitely need the stainless steel tripod rather than the lighter aluminium tripod that you can use with the AZ4.

I found the SkyTee to be a really good mount although I know others have their frustrations, principally with some of the aspects of the design.  I think there was a recent discussion on here about it - you might want to do a search.

Paul

Thanks. I learned that there have been some issues with the dovetail. Are there other issues I should know about?

Re portability: it is heavy, for example when mounted on a standard EQ5 type tripod, but I find I can move it round the garden either with the tripod open or closed with relative ease, (despite my age) as you can lift it close to your body to minimise back problems. As Paul says, look at the other thread and good luck with whichever choice you make.....

Chris

As mentioned. It is a good chunk of metal. But it will take pretty much anything that you can throw at it! I am reasonably happy carrying mine around the garden with scope on top.

Not sure about the dovetail issues. Mine arived with an ADM clamp and I use a relatively cheap mini clamp for the light duty end. No issues here.

PPaul

I recently purchased a Skytee 2 . I did have some problems with it straight out of the box, but thanks to advice given by the good folks on here a little tweak soon had it working well. It is a solid chunk of a mount, but can still move it about my garden with relative ease. As to the saddles provided, I never had any problems with them, but I have bought a ADM saddle and must admit it feels a bit more secure and does not mark the dovetail, unlike those supplied.

55 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I recently purchased a Skytee 2 . I did have some problems with it straight out of the box, but thanks to advice given by the good folks on here a little tweak soon had it working well. It is a solid chunk of a mount, but can still move it about my garden with relative ease. As to the saddles provided, I never had any problems with them, but I have bought a ADM saddle and must admit it feels a bit more secure and does not mark the dovetail, unlike those supplied.

Thanks for sharing. What telescope are you using with the SkyTee?

A f/5 150p will sit fine on a skytee2 but in truth an f/5 150p sits fine on a steel leg AZ4 also. The skytee will be far more heavier and larger and carry two scopes if so desired which the AZ4 can't. So in answer to your question, yes it will hold an f/5 150p. If we are talking about an f/8 150p then the skytee would be the better choice over an AZ4 due to the longer OTA. So to recap, if we are talking a f/8 150pl then go for the skytee but bear in mind you may need a small extension to avoid the OTA clashing with the tripod legs when pointing 70° and above. If instead we are talking about a 150p dobsonian which you intend to mount on AZ and tripod I would say save your money and invest in a tracking platform instead but that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

A f/5 150p will sit fine on a skytee2 but in truth an f/5 150p sits fine on a steel leg AZ4 also. The skytee will be far more heavier and larger and carry two scopes if so desired which the AZ4 can't. So in answer to your question, yes it will hold an f/5 150p. If we are talking about an f/8 150p then the skytee would be the better choice over an AZ4 due to the longer OTA. So to recap, if we are talking a f/8 150pl then go for the skytee but bear in mind you may need a small extension to avoid the OTA clashing with the tripod legs when pointing 70° and above. If instead we are talking about a 150p dobsonian which you intend to mount on AZ and tripod I would say save your money and invest in a tracking platform instead but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking at the 150P (150/750) DS-version and it's 1kg more than the 150P

150PDS 1kg more than the 150P ???? I'd love to know where these quotes and figures come from I really would :confused2:. I don't think the whole Chinese, English translations helps any. I'm also dubious that the 150PDS OTA is shorter than the original P version but welcome anyone to prove me wrong.

You could easily use a 200P on a skytee II so the 150PDS at half the dimensional size of the 8" will work no problem at all. As has already been said though you would need a SS tripod to cope with the larger skytee and scope combined weight.

1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

150PDS 1kg more than the 150P ???? I'd love to know where these quotes and figures come from I really would :confused2:. I don't think the whole Chinese, English translations helps any. I'm also dubious that the 150PDS OTA is shorter than the original P version but welcome anyone to prove me wrong.

You could easily use a 200P on a skytee II so the 150PDS at half the dimensional size of the 8" will work no problem at all. As has already been said though you would need a SS tripod to cope with the larger skytee and scope combined weight.

Specs according to skywatcher website. No problem with SkyTee. With AZ4 it's on limits I believe. If the number are correct of course...

I honestly think you'd struggle more times than you'd like with a 150 on an AZ4, even with the stainless legs. If you want to be assured of stability even in a brisk breeze, the SkyTee would do it. Nothing as frustrating as a mount not up to the task in the wind!  I'm a big fan of the AZ4, but I just think the 150 would risk swamping it.

Paul

I've used a standard Skywatcher 150mm F/5 on an AZ-4 and it worked just fine. I have a Skytee II at the moment and it would certainly cope with any 150mm F/5 newt that I can think of. Upgraded dovetail clamps are a "must" though, IMHO. The originals are flawed in their execution because of the soft alloy used for the locking knobs.

I recently sold my AZ4. I had it mounted on the 2" s/s legs from my Eq6, and it could not cope with the TAL RS that I had on it, let alone the Starwave 102 f11 that I have replaced it with, totally unacceptable damping time.I now have replaced it with a Skytee 2 on the same tripod, and it is superb, though I am appalled at the backlash in both axes.The scope is held by an ADM saddle and ADM/Vixen dovetail, a" must have," as John has already said.:happy11:

How portable is this mount compared to other alt az mounts like AZ4?

The AZ4 can be picked up with one hand and thrown into a boot of a car and can handle 5-6Kg scope no problem

The Skytee can be lugged out into the gaarden with 2 hands, can handle up to a 15kg scope and is a very stable mount.

13 hours ago, andy435 said:

Specs according to skywatcher website. No problem with SkyTee. With AZ4 it's on limits I believe. If the number are correct of course...

Same as John, I've used a 150PDS on a SS AZ4 no problems. OK you have to readjust the ota when pointing towards zenith to avoid hitting the tripod legs but this can happen with most mounts and it's so quick and easy to adjust the relatively small 150P that it's hardly worth the extra expense of an extension. That said though I am a big fan of over mounting scopes so if your considering a skytee II anyway you may as well go with that. Personally though I would recommend a GIRO II or III over the skytee. I'm not sure they are still available new ?? but can with some patience be picked up used (head only) for similar money to a used skytee (head only) but IMHO the GIRO are a far better mount.

14 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Same as John, I've used a 150PDS on a SS AZ4 no problems. OK you have to readjust the ota when pointing towards zenith to avoid hitting the tripod legs but this can happen with most mounts and it's so quick and easy to adjust the relatively small 150P that it's hardly worth the extra expense of an extension. That said though I am a big fan of over mounting scopes so if your considering a skytee II anyway you may as well go with that. Personally though I would recommend a GIRO II or III over the skytee. I'm not sure they are still available new ?? but can with some patience be picked up used (head only) for similar money to a used skytee (head only) but IMHO the GIRO are a far better mount.

Giro are nice mounts but they are missing slow motion controls which is a nice feature on the SkyTee. The dovetail clamps on the SkyTee however is a rather costly and unnecessary upgrade for a already expensive mount. I'll have another look at Giro :)

I won't lie, I did like the slow mo controls on my AZ3 because you never have to physically handle the scope which can sometimes be advantageous but you also have to understand that GIRO mounts are well made and when properly balanced are very smooth which because of that I can't say I've ever been at a loss for not having slow mo controls. I have never owned a skytee but I hear the slow mo suffer with backlash and only one of the slow mo controls rotates with the scope so the other depending where your pointing can end up out of reach and redundant anyway. Attaching slow motion cables doesn't help and can cause an obstruction for the same reason. It is worth noting that there are plenty of members who have been more than happy with their skytee mounts despite any shortcomings.

If you have even the slightest doubt which way to go your best bet is to try before you buy. See if there are any local clubs or members with AZ4, Skytee or GIRO. There are usually spring star parties which you could pop along to and get a better feel for what's, what. I think astrofest is not far off so you could pop along and look at kit with the benefit of leaving with a purchase.  It always pays to see kit in person as things can look totally different on a PC screen compared to it being in front of you.

14 hours ago, Saganite said:

I recently sold my AZ4. I had it mounted on the 2" s/s legs from my Eq6, and it could not cope with the TAL RS that I had on it, let alone the Starwave 102 f11 that I have replaced it with, totally unacceptable damping time.I now have replaced it with a Skytee 2 on the same tripod, and it is superb, though I am appalled at the backlash in both axes.The scope is held by an ADM saddle and ADM/Vixen dovetail, a" must have," as John has already said.:happy11:

Hi Steve,

The backlash which seems quite common to the SkyTee is easy to adjust out. I can't exactly remember how to go about it (been a while since I sold mine) but it's just a case of fiddling with the little grub screws in the worm drive casing.

4 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Hi Steve,

The backlash which seems quite common to the SkyTee is easy to adjust out. I can't exactly remember how to go about it (been a while since I sold mine) but it's just a case of fiddling with the little grub screws in the worm drive casing.

Yes, I've managed to improve the backlash on mine by doing just that.

I currently have both a Skytee II (ADM clamps) and a Giro Ercole (also ADM clamp) and I'm going to be comparing their merits over the coming months. 

Archived