Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Wonderful Night for a Conjunction!

orion25

A beautiful arrangement of Mars (top), the waxing crescent Moon (lower left) and Venus (lower right) in the southwest sky on an unusually mild January eve. Hope you had a chance to spy this apparition. Here are a few pics I took with my Nikon aimed at the sky:

ASTRONOMY%20-%20MARS%20VENUS%20amp%20WAX

ASTRONOMY%20-%20MARS%20VENUS%20amp%20WAX

I love the earthshine in the top pic!

Enjoy,

Reggie:icescream:

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Those are very nicely done! I agree, getting the earthshine in the first pic is great, not easy to get the exposure right for everything!

Thanks, Stu. You're absolutely right; getting the right exposure was tricky for these three. The moon was so bright , Mars relatively dim and Venus sparkling in between. I'm glad I took a few shots at twilight, before the sky got too dark, to capture some earthshine and not diminish Mars' glow so much. It was a beautiful night for January down here in the southern U.S., about 55 degrees F, and crystal clear skies. The conjunction was well-placed above the SW horizon, heralding mighty Orion to the SE. I live for these kind of events!

Regards,

Reggie

Archived