Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ap in light pollution

Nova2000

Hi

Can you'll tell me how much exposure will you'll take in a light polluted city? 

My naked eyed limiting magnitude is 4.and 5on dark nights. 

Scope either a 80ed/130pds on a dslr. 

Can the lp be removed with softwares? 

Is there data behind the light pollution? 

Rajesh 

Some light pollution can be reduced by using filters. If the pollution is by orange sodium lights you would benefit from using a CLS filter with your Canon. If it's white light it cannot be easily dealt with but you could try a UHC filter.

The effects of light pollution can be reduced using software (PI/PS/PSP etc) at the processing stage by reducing the red or whatever in the image. If you have light pollution I would restrict your ISO setting to no more than 800.

Peter

You have to experiment to see how long an exposure you can get before the LP overwhelms the image, clip in filter for DSLR helps if it's just orange street lights.

Generally LP is worse at lower levels so causes a gradient that can be removed in software.

Dave

You might be amazed by the power of software to remove the effects of LP. I live and work at a dark site but sometimes our guests bring 'orange' images captured in the UK for processing. Pixinsight's Dynamic Background Extraction is simply incredible when it comes to finding out what lies within the orange.

Olly

I have taken images that have gone beyond the "orange" stage and still managed to pull out useful data even with software like Photoshop, it might be surprising but if you take a flat frame using the daylight sky you can stretch the image to reveal stars. If your scope is used with a two inch adapter or reducer you can sometimes find that they are threaded for two inch filters which are a lot cheaper than the clip in ones.

Alan

Data beyond LP - absolutely - H alpha - i think black and white nebula shots are fantastic and you can do narrow band colour - I live on the outskirts of a big town and H alpha gives very good results even without much processing - LP filters I find fair but they all reduce your photons and increase exposure length for the same results - good luck trying stuff out - best wishes Tony

Archived