Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Random Lunar Close ups 18th Jan 17

Freddie

Was out imaging Jupiter but when I was done there and it had gone behind a tree the moon was still in a good position. Decided to fire off some quick AVIs of anything that caught my eye. I know what the first four are, Tycho, Plato, Vallis Alpes and Purbach but I have no idea what the last one is of. I have looked on my moon map a couple of times but have given up trying to find it. Any ideas much appreciated. Each is just 60 secs processed in AS!2, R6 and PS.

Tycho180117.png

Plato180117.png

ValAlpes180117.png

Purbach180117.png

xxx180117.png

Thanks for your comments and also naming that crater. It doesn't stand out so well on my moon map, that's my excuse anyway!!

That crater did look a bit odd on the peak and I did wonder if it was a stacking artifact or something. Now that I know the crater, I've had a search and I see it is real.

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 22:16, Freddie said:

That crater did look a bit odd on the peak and I did wonder if it was a stacking artifact or something. Now that I know the crater, I've had a search and I see it is real.

I checked the LRO zoomy site and it looked there like there's a general depression at the top with a smaller, well defined crater within it.

All nice captures, though.

Archived