Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two small spirals: NGC 6384 and NGC 7479

661-pete

Having spent most of the week down in France on globulars, it was nice to squeeze in a couple of faint spirals even if they are both rather tough cookies at below mag. 10! Probably a bit beyond my technique and my equipment, but these are the best I can offer. At this time of the year there's a dearth of galaxies unless you turn to the North, and it's interesting to find a spiral mixed up in all the globs in Ophiuchus.

Both of these were done on 02-03 August, 350D at prime focus.

NGC 6384 (which is a little below Rasalhague) has suggestions of being a Sb and is quite a nicely-formed spiral: at least if I could make more of it! 17 x 3 minutes.

ngc638402aug08005rjf9.jpg

NGC 7479 is an obvious loose Sb in Pegasus (below lower-right corner). 13 x 3 minutes.

ngc747902aug08003reu1.jpg

And so: on to the return of 'galaxy season' in autumn! :hello2:

At least someone in SGL is getting good skies - unlike in the UK!

Yup. Sorry about that! But I'm back in the UK and in the :hello2: now, like everyone else! Don't know yet whether I can fit in another trip this year...

Thanks anyway.

Nicely captured Pete, and good to see some of the less frequently imaged galaxies. :clouds1:

What scope was used?

Cheers

Rob

Thanks again everyone.

I've only got the one scope, the Europa 250, and no plans to go (n+1) at present... :hello2: It's all in my sig. line. I do everything at prime focus: with f/4.8 I get just about a degree of FOV in the long dimension.

What I will do, when I get around to it, is replace the clumsy R&P for a Crayford focuser which I've already got but not fitted yet (will need the tube re-drilling :shock:). Should take care of some of the vignetting and enable me to fit the MPCC, which I've also got but not yet used.

I'm not planning to upgrade the mount, despite the Vixen's obvious overloading and the temptation of an EQ6. One thing at a time...

Methinks you guys are altogether too fulsome in your praise, I never expected as much! :oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you all anyway.

I did this pair mainly by way of experiment, I wasn't expecting much to come out. I put down the relative success to two things: (1) the good quality skies down in France which means I can bring off a 3-minute shot without a sniff of LP even without filters, and (2) the excellent optics of the Europa 250 (Hilux finish) with their impressive light grasp (of course, high gain optics also mean that you pick up all the LP there may be...).

Alas! the rest of the Europa, the mechanics and build quality of the OTA, aren't up to the same quality, they're rather clunky and keeping good focus and collimation is hard.

But I'm sticking with it. I re-collimated it on the last trip, and I don't think I made it any worse at least!

Archived