Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead Nebula Imaging plan

I am looking for some tips on imaging the Horsehead Nebula in Orion.

Whilst this is one of the brighter targets I am very aware of the issues with over exposing Altinak.

In addition as Orion passes by my house it goes behind my neighbour’s house so I only have a few hours to capture data, so this will have to be a multi-night job. I am also steadily running out of days before this becomes impossible…

My plan is to capture LRGB data:

RGB each with 5 min exposures then the luminance at 5mins exposures, obviously the more subs the better.

I will also look at capturing LRGB subs at 1 min exposure so that I can composite these into the longer 5 min exposures to help with the over exposure.
Dark & Flats will also be taken. Does this some like a sensible plan?

I have found LRGB to be particularly difficult when controlling star bloat. My pixel size is 3.17 ArcSeconds Per Pixel which does not help.

My questions are:

1.       How long is it recommended to take LRGB exposures of the Horse Head in an orange light polluted zone? I know this is an open question but if anyone has had good experience of this it would be a good start.

2.       Should I reduce my Luminance exposure time or for that matter the RGB too? I could go even go for longer subs?

3.       Any other tips?

Many Thanks.

Archived