Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bicolor IC-443 (Ha)HaOIII

Rodd

Just an experiment until I get the SII data.  This was much less satisfying than anticipated.  Then again, I don't have much luck with bicolored images  Its a drizzle integrated image with Ha mapped to red and OIII mapped to blue and green, with Ha inserted as a luminence.  15 hours of Ha and 12 hours of OIII in 30 min subs.  OIII is pretty faint.  It just looks like a red colored version of my Ha stack.  Televue np101is and SBIG STT-8300.  Not sure why but any attempts at sharpening result in mottling, so its a bit less defined than usual.  There will not be any revisions until I get the SII data.

HaHaOO-a.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodd i think this is a winner!

The ONLY thing i would change is the orientation! :) Turn it 90 degrees to the left and see how you like it. I quickly turned my head looking at it on the screen, and for me personally it massively improved in appearance. I don't see many portrait astro pictures (except maybe the pillars of creation, but thats an obvious one) and its a pitty, as it can be very powerful.

Somehow now it feels like it 'tippled over', but this is probably highly personal and everybody else with disagree!

Kind regards, Graem

6 hours ago, graemlourens said:

Rodd i think this is a winner!

The ONLY thing i would change is the orientation! :) Turn it 90 degrees to the left and see how you like it. I quickly turned my head looking at it on the screen, and for me personally it massively improved in appearance. I don't see many portrait astro pictures (except maybe the pillars of creation, but thats an obvious one) and its a pitty, as it can be very powerful.

Somehow now it feels like it 'tippled over', but this is probably highly personal and everybody else with disagree!

Kind regards, Graem

Thanks Graem.  To the left?  So the head is pointing down? Unless what I am considering the head are the tentacles of the jellyfish which normally do point down.  I've not considered this before.  I have oriented it 90 degrees to the right (so head is up).  But now that you mention it, it looks ready to topple over that way.  I do like the orientation that you suggest for the nebula, but the sensor is not square, so when I rotate it the image gets narrow and the target seems to recede a bit (gets smaller).  I guess a 2 panel mosaic is needed after all--can't really fit the target on my sensor anyway, even with the reducer.  But I can't fathom doubling my hours on this thing!

Just now, Mr Spock said:

It's a nice image with lots of detail. I'm not sure about the colour though.

That's what you get when you map the Ha to red and the OIII to blue and green.  Much closer to the visual palette than the SHO pallete is.  Without SII data, I don't think there is much choice.  

53 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Graem.  To the left?  So the head is pointing down? Unless what I am considering the head are the tentacles of the jellyfish which normally do point down.  I've not considered this before.  I have oriented it 90 degrees to the right (so head is up).  But now that you mention it, it looks ready to topple over that way.  I do like the orientation that you suggest for the nebula, but the sensor is not square, so when I rotate it the image gets narrow and the target seems to recede a bit (gets smaller).  I guess a 2 panel mosaic is needed after all--can't really fit the target on my sensor anyway, even with the reducer.  But I can't fathom doubling my hours on this thing!

Yes, to the left! :) Look: like this.

It looks like the jellyfish's nebulas head exploded and gas is exiting its head :) I think its marvellous like that...

HaHaOO-a.thumb.jpg.741aee8a5540edff3e709551a27722b0.jpg

Kind regards, Graem

1 minute ago, graemlourens said:

It looks like the jellyfish's nebulas head exploded and gas is exiting its head :) I think its marvellous like that...

Kind regards, Graem

It does look good that way.  I never knew the "jellyfish" was only the mass at bottom (in this orientation).  Makes sense now that I see it.

7 minutes ago, graemlourens said:

Kind regards, Graem

How about like this--best of both worlds.

HaHaOO-a.jpg

9 minutes ago, graemlourens said:

Also very good :) its a very personal taste kind of thing though, so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt!

Well--its the easiest thing to correct :happy9:.  A much more difficult thing is pixel scale (new equipment is required).  I am not sure I am satisfied with my pixel scale with the Televue.  I am looking at the Atik 490ex (I see you have an Atik 460ex).  Do you like the Atik?

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

It's a nice image with lots of detail. I'm not sure about the colour though.

4 hours ago, graemlourens said:

Also very good :) its a very personal taste kind of thing though, so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt!

How about this one--much more realistic (colors are a straight mix--no modifications).  I think it is clearer in the details. A bit washed out looking though. Can't wait to get the SII.  Sorry Graem--forgot to rotate!

HaHAOIII-2.jpg

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

Much better - the different regions are standing out more :thumbsup:

Thanks--I agree.  For a while there I was sorry I spent so much time on this target.  Now I have hope again that I can eventually render a nice image with the addition of the SII.

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

or here with a bit of dark structure enhancement--I guess I fell off the wagon of 'No Reprocessing until I get the SII" :icon_biggrin:.

HaHAOIII-2a.jpg

Hey Rodd, I think this one is looking really nice.  I do like Graem's orientation though.  A couple of suggestions - perhaps run some SCNR green over it.  And maybe bring in the black point a tad to darken up the background skies.  But don't lose that real faint stuff around the margins - that looks nice.  The OIII shell is looking great now.

3 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Hey Rodd, I think this one is looking really nice.  I do like Graem's orientation though.  A couple of suggestions - perhaps run some SCNR green over it.  And maybe bring in the black point a tad to darken up the background skies.  But don't lose that real faint stuff around the margins - that looks nice.  The OIII shell is looking great now.

Wow--I completely forgot about SCNR!!  Thanks.  I also move the black point a bit.  Maybe not enough?

HaHAOIII-2ca.jpg

4 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Wow indeed.  That is a beauty.  As far as I am concerned, the only further work you need to do is to submit it for consideration for APOD.

Well now--lets not get carried away!  Maybe after the SII:happy7:?

Archived