Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bicolor IC-443 (Ha)HaOIII

Rodd

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like these bicolour images and sometimes they end up looking better than the full SHO (veil nebula being an example).  I think the one you just posted is one of your finest images to date and I was being quite serious.  Have you had a look at the new version in the leftward orientation suggested by Graem?  An argument could be made for a hint more saturation (but only a slight amount and you may prefer without).  And maybe some VERY slight sharpening applied only to the blue shell around the jellyfish.  Again, it may not need this, but I'd have a look just to see.

Great stuff Rodd!

The last version is obviously more standard color but somehow i must say i really liked your bicolor approach in the first one. It was unique! (but i'm a little blinded as i've been doing too many SHO lately, and got fed up with it)

Concerning the Atik460, its a great camera, Dark noise nearly abscent, the only thing you have to consider is that the 460 and the 490 don't have very large full well depths (approx 20'000) so if you're looking for star color & long exposures, you'll have to do a lot in post processing (i'm currently dabbling in HaRGB). The price with the Atik i think is extremely fair concerning its great performance.

Kind regards, Graem

5 minutes ago, gnomus said:

I really like these bicolour images and sometimes they end up looking better than the full SHO (veil nebula being an example).  I think the one you just posted is one of your finest images to date and I was being quite serious.  Have you had a look at the new version in the leftward orientation suggested by Graem?  An argument could be made for a hint more saturation (but only a slight amount and you may prefer without).  And maybe some VERY slight sharpening applied only to the blue shell around the jellyfish.  Again, it may not need this, but I'd have a look just to see.

Last one.  Black point darker but Histogram moved to right as well so the nebula remained bright--especially the faint stuff.  I appreciate your kind words.  I think the SII emissions are pretty high for this target.  Not sure I want to not collect SII. 

HaHAOIII-2cabd.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Check out the last one Gnomus--I forgot to quote you.  Better or no....its the last one!

I still prefer the one I quoted, or even the one before that (the first SCNR one).  The latest one just tips over into the 'crunchy' for my taste.  But, hey ... what do I know?

4 minutes ago, gnomus said:

I still prefer the one I quoted, or even the one before that (the first SCNR one).  The latest one just tips over into the 'crunchy' for my taste.  But, hey ... what do I know?

You are right--I always take it over the edge! 

6 hours ago, gnomus said:

:hippy2:

How about this one?  I could not let it rest.  I think this one has a nice color balance (maybe a tad too saturated) but I like the blue where it is.  I need the SII. that's for certain and this is my final tweak (actually a whole reprocess). 

New-1.jpg

On 03/01/2017 at 18:28, Rodd said:

Wow--I completely forgot about SCNR!!  Thanks.  I also move the black point a bit.  Maybe not enough?

HaHAOIII-2ca.jpg

This is my favourite one, bi-colour for me is the most pleasing pallet to the eye, I have never been a fan of HSO.  

3 minutes ago, Adam J said:

This is my favourite one, bi-colour for me is the most pleasing pallet to the eye, I have never been a fan of HSO.  

Thanks  Adam.  But there is no green in my SHO images.  I did this target in HaSHO as well and I like the colors--different structures have different frequencies, giving rise to a greater feeling of depth.  But I hate green.  

Archived