Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The dome for the astronomical Observatory.

Stanislav2016

Good day to all! My name is Stanislav. I am wondering what the cost can do to make this dome for the astronomical Observatory in the UK? The frame of the dome of marine and birch plywood,covered with yacht varnish,the roof is made of galvanized steel 0,7 mm.

104_2513.JPG

104_2567.JPG

104_2571.JPG

104_2556.JPG

That's a beautifully constructed dome Stanislav, did you just find it in the woods? :icon_biggrin:

It's hard to give an exact material cost without knowing its dimensions, but I doubt you'd be able to build it for under £300.

The inside would benefit from sections of black rubber exercise Matt, the interlocking kind, cutting and fitting between the framework to prevent condensation and aid with dark adaption.

Mike 

3 hours ago, Stanislav2016 said:

Good day to all! My name is Stanislav. I am wondering what the cost can do to make this dome for the astronomical Observatory in the UK? The frame of the dome of marine and birch plywood,covered with yacht varnish,the roof is made of galvanized steel 0,7 mm.

104_2513.JPG

104_2567.JPG

104_2571.JPG

104_2556.JPG

Hello Stanislav and welcome to SGL

Your Dome is Very aesthetically pleasing with all the smooth flowing lines of the build, a very space age design☺

Looks like it rotates the full 360 degree on the roller bearing, nice. All that's bare steel though would I should imagine make it  thermo challenging heat wise, l should imagine would be like observing in a fridge, probably great to have the scope temperature at ambient temperature, but not so good for the observer's body temperature. The large high trees behind could well be a problem of getting complete night views as this wood does seem to blocking a great deal of the complete 360 degree views from the horizon, and maybe ok near zenith. But I would relocate the dome to a different location if possible, so not only do you get full 360, degree views , but full views from horizon to zenith and that way you will have the full night sky's available to you. From the photos it seems to imply that it is in a rural area therefore probably very dark sky's. We like dark sky' on this site , that way you can really see the universe in its full glory, without having light pollution the views are so much better☺  

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That's a beautifully constructed dome Stanislav, did you just find it in the woods? :icon_biggrin:

It's hard to give an exact material cost without knowing its dimensions, but I doubt you'd be able to build it for under £300.

The inside would benefit from sections of black rubber exercise Matt, the interlocking kind, cutting and fitting between the framework to prevent condensation and aid with dark adaption.

Mike 

Hello,Mike! Thanks for the nice appreciation of my work! And the joke is very good! )) I was Walking through the forest and suddenly.. ohhh! The dome!!! ))) Actually,I forgot to specify the size of the dome.. ) Its diameter of 3 meters! About the black inner surface-I thought about it,but it seemed to me that it will not prevent condensation,as the surface will be still very cold if outside is -20C. Or am I wrong? And about the color black for cover of dark adaptation,I thought the use of red flashlight during observations inevitably and steel reflected the red light will not interfere with the dark adaptation... Although,of course,black rubber coating would improve the overall situation but the dome would not be so beautiful that had a definite significance for me too.. Stanislav

7 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Hello Stanislav and welcome to SGL

Your Dome is Very aesthetically pleasing with all the smooth flowing lines of the build, a very space age design☺

Looks like it rotates the full 360 degree on the roller bearing, nice. All that's bare steel though would I should imagine make it  thermo challenging heat wise, l should imagine would be like observing in a fridge, probably great to have the scope temperature at ambient temperature, but not so good for the observer's body temperature. The large high trees behind could well be a problem of getting complete night views as this wood does seem to blocking a great deal of the complete 360 degree views from the horizon, and maybe ok near zenith. But I would relocate the dome to a different location if possible, so not only do you get full 360, degree views , but full views from horizon to zenith and that way you will have the full night sky's available to you. From the photos it seems to imply that it is in a rural area therefore probably very dark sky's. We like dark sky' on this site , that way you can really see the universe in its full glory, without having light pollution the views are so much better☺  

Hello! Thank you very much for your kind words! You're right about everything except the situation with the night light! This place is situated in 50km from Moscow, and around a lot of any infrastructure. The sky on a cloudy night and a bright pink everything,so you can read the newspaper. The situation with the review of the horizon bad. Around tall trees that block the view to 50^0 from the horizon to the Zenith. I was planning to buy a piece of land somewhere in a dark place at 130-150 km from Moscow,but unfortunately,finances do not allow me to do that now. There will need to build a warm home away from the Observatory to the warm air did not spoil the picture. All of this is obtained at such a cost that I won't find in the near future..

7 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

My first reading of the post suggested that Stanislav was asking how much it would cost to make a similar dome in the UK. Perhaps he could kindly clarify the question.   :icon_biggrin:

Hello,Peter! Yes,you are right-I wonder how much it could cost the Amateur astronomer from the UK, building a similar dome! :) My English is bad and maybe I asked the question wrong...

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Welcome to SGL Stanislav, very nicely crafted dome, I'd be interested to know how much it cost to build in Russia.

Dave :icon_santa:

Hello,Dave! Thank you for the kind words! This dome cost me 2,600 pounds UK of construction materials (less waste about 50% is obtained,unfortunately) and £ 2,000 of work! :) Just 4600 pounds UK :)

34 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Thanks Stanislav for the clarification, it will be interesting to hear the estimates :icon_biggrin:. I used to build domes professionally and doubt that one could be done for the £300 that has started the replies.

Yes,Peter,of course it did not cost £ 300. I spent the 4600 pounds.

16 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

That sounds like a much more realistic price. Very nicely designed and constructed. Mine were made almost entirely of aluminium and I used a similar door opening principle to yours.  :icon_biggrin:

Thank you for the positive evaluation of my work! It would be very interesting to look at your dome! Perhaps it will tell me some technical solutions!

Very nice dome!

It's not that different from a dome built by a friend here in Norway

20160214_165814.jpg

It's around 4m

The dome ended up pretty heavy, if i had known it would end up so heavy he would have chosen aluminium plates instead of galvanized steel.

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

Stairs are lit up by red lights.

IMG_6315.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived