NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads Up - Celestron 102ED XLT for grabs

Skyline

2 minutes ago, John said:

Should be a very good pairing Chris :icon_biggrin:

lol well it would have been John, I've just got an email from FLO saying the AZ4's are out of stock probably for the next month, not normally a problem but I have no mount and 14 days to check the 102ED xlt and return it if there are any problems, David Hinds have dispatched the scope today.

As I always seem to regret selling RA driven EQ mounts and AZ4 I do went to get both and hopefully cling on to them this time, so I'm tempted to chance the order to an EQ3 or EQ5 and just get the AZ4 later.

Or I could just use the ED100 like a pirate and just hold it up to my eye on the bow of a ship Harharh! :icon_pirat:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to do what Dave @F15Rules does, and name the scope! I was thinking of calling it 'Midnight', because it's kind of midnight blue in colour, and it's usually midnight by the time I get to go out and observe :grin:

On the mount front, I notice that ENS have a couple of the old black basic motor driven HEQ5 powered by D-cells. They are only £299 which isn't much more than you'd expect to pay second hand with a private sale. I've owned one of these years ago and they are simple, rock solid, and the motors are surprisingly accurate for tracking. No Goto, and no mains power/power tanks to contend with. I'm tempted!

2 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

.....Or I could just use the ED100 like a pirate and just hold it up to my eye on the bow of a ship Harharh! :icon_pirat:

If you do decide to do that Chris, be sure to post a photo ! :grin:

22 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

I've decided to do what Dave @F15Rules does, and name the scope! I was thinking of calling it 'Midnight', because it's kind of midnight blue in colour, and it's usually midnight by the time I get to go out and observe :grin:

On the mount front, I notice that ENS have a couple of the old black basic motor driven HEQ5 powered by D-cells. They are only £299 which isn't much more than you'd expect to pay second hand with a private sale. I've owned one of these years ago and they are simple, rock solid, and the motors are surprisingly accurate for tracking. No Goto, and no mains power/power tanks to contend with. I'm tempted!

did you get an answer regards this being a genuine ED or basic omni

On 12/19/2016 at 18:40, nightfisher said:

did you get an answer regards this being a genuine ED or basic omni

I never got a reply, but they've shipped it today so I'm going to find out one way or the other soon :)

As soon as I know Jules, you'll know :)

Well, on th plus side Chris even if it is an ordinary Omni the views will be very good. Got to test out my Omni 120 XLT on some double stars last night and they were crisp and clean, with great views. Hope it is an ED scope that you've got though, as the views will be even better! :) 

14 hours ago, John said:

As to why the Celestron 102ED model was dropped, I seem to recall that they were also selling the C100-ED at around the same time which had the same optics in differently styled tube. When Synta took ownership of Celestron there was bound to be some rationalisation of ranges also I think.

It was also rumoured how much was true I don't know. The C100ED lenses were designed/made by Vixen (Japan). As very early Celestron were in collaboration with Vixen in making some of their early refractors and newtonians.

It's here! and very clearly brand spanking new, and more importantly the ED model with model number 21092-1 ! :) Here's some Pics!

I have an old black HEQ5 with basic dual drives winging it's way to me, so hopefully it won't be too long before first light! One things for sure the single speed Crayford is like butter compared to some I've tried, I've got a good feeling about this scope! :)

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Chris, just a little word in your shell like ear........please dont post sexy pics of a rather nice and slightly unusual 100ED when i know there is another one available to tempt me:happy11:

lovely looking scope, you will be so pleased i did not bid and make you pay more for it

37 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Chris, just a little word in your shell like ear........please dont post sexy pics of a rather nice and slightly unusual 100ED when i know there is another one available to tempt me:happy11:

Well I was 100% backing Stu in encouraging you to wait for an ED120, but if I look at the facts - I got a brand new and rarely seen model ED100, plus all the OTA extras boxed as new, plus a years warranty, and the silkiest basic Crayford I've ever felt.... all for £311! I want everyone to get one! It's a win win :)

I actually think you should set yourself a limit and at least bid on the next one. You can always sell it for the same money when an ED120 comes up locally. I doubt you'd lose a penny if you bag one of these for around the same as me :)

37 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

lovely looking scope, you will be so pleased i did not bid and make you pay more for it

That is appreciated! :) I honestly got it by the skin of my teeth, upped my bid in the last few seconds!

14 hours ago, Skyline said:

It was also rumoured how much was true I don't know. The C100ED lenses were designed/made by Vixen (Japan). As very early Celestron were in collaboration with Vixen in making some of their early refractors and newtonians.

I think the collaboration was a Synta / Vixen one.

6 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Yep surely a 100ED, its a fantastic scope, i'll dig out the old pic of the cluster taken with this scope. Your going to love it !

Ah mate, I already do and I've not even looked through the thing yet :) Yes please do post the pic, did you take it natively or reduced?

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

BTW a Moonlite will easy fix onto that tube for future upgrading.

You read my mind :) I was thinking I should actually get round to buying my first Moonlite before it had even arrived! What do you think..Orange? To be honest though I've played with the stock focuser and it's a step up from what I've seen previously on many Synta scopes, it's quite buttery to the feel straight out the box!

Archived