NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The blue dragon in the Faming Star

gorann

I am traveling all of Dec and Jan (without a scope), presently in Vietnam, so no new data but I got some time to work on my IC405 data from late October, trying to bring out what looks like a blue dragon in the Flaming Star Nebula (maybe that is the flaming?). In any case, this is what it looks like in its 21st saved version.

ES 5" Apo with TS 0.79x reducer (so f/5.9, FL 752 mm) on EQ8 and a Canon 60Da collecting the photons. 38 x 10 min = 6.3 h. Photoshop CS5.

Any comments and suggestions most welcome

IMG2073-85+2193-2208 PS21sign.jpg

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

Never seen this creature before. Great capture. Maybe if you process some more you can reveal the girl it is tattooed on. When you get to the 42nd saved version or so. :icon_mrgreen:

(Note to self: read less)

Tack Wim!

42, is that not the meaning of the universe? I should have a go at it!

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

It's also double the number you mentioned. And then there's the obvious Stieg Larsson reference. Just couldn't resist.

Ha det bra i Vietnam

Of course, so this is the Nebula with the Dragon Tattoo!

Btw, I also see a dragon's head looking down, left of the tattoo. The bright arc just left of the blue is the eyebrow. The dark patch is the eye socket, and below is a nostril.

I must be clear-night-deprived.

I wonder how that would turn out when imaged with my Ha deprived dslr. Christmas will be moonless this year. Hopefully it will also be cloudless a couple of nights.

Btw, Göran, any chance of doing some imaging while down there? Isn't Milky way-from-a-fixed-tripod mandatory when abroad? Or are starfish the closest you will get to anything star related?

Ha det bra,

21 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

That really is an excellent rendition of the reflection nebula. We rarely see it so distictly.

Enjoy Vietnam!

Olly

17 hours ago, wimvb said:

I wonder how that would turn out when imaged with my Ha deprived dslr. Christmas will be moonless this year. Hopefully it will also be cloudless a couple of nights.

Btw, Göran, any chance of doing some imaging while down there? Isn't Milky way-from-a-fixed-tripod mandatory when abroad? Or are starfish the closest you will get to anything star related?

Ha det bra,

11 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Have a nice break - nice work good to see people focussing and realising the small details.  The small details add up when applied to a whole image.

Paddy

Thank you all!

No, unfortunately I did not have space for any imaging stuff in my suitcase so I have to settle for admiring the Magellan clouds by naked eye. I may talk my wife into taking a few shots with her DSLR but its is of course not modded and I did not bring any sky tracking device.

17 hours ago, Rattler said:

This is an absolutely stunning image. Great job man.

16 hours ago, iansmith said:

Nice image, I like the way you have brought the dragon out.

Cheers, Ian

Thank you all again! Much appreciated.

I never had so much positive attention for an image before so I must be making progress. If you are interested in the progress of this image I have some earlier versions on my Astrobin (the last one being the 22nd version with some minor fixes of a few stars that irritated me):

http://www.astrobin.com/269938/C

Cheers from northern Queensland. Me and my wife just landed in Cairns on our way to Lizard Island Research Station. She is also a biologist and Lizard Island is our usual escape from the winter in December - January. Fantastic night sky on that Island. Nearest town on the mainland is small and far far away. Will try some exposures with her EOS 70D.

Archived