Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6" triplet and mount for under 1K heads up

Chris

24 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I was just looking at that but I'm not confident enough to analyse if it is a good buy or not.

If the optics are fine I'm pretty sure it's a good deal. I'm not sure what glass it uses? but still it's a 6" triplet and mount for 995 quid, so could be a bargain for someone who knows what they are doing with triplets.

15 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

If the optics are fine I'm pretty sure it's a good deal. I'm not sure what glass it uses? but still it's a 6" triplet and mount for 995 quid, so could be a bargain for someone who knows what they are doing with triplets.

Someone who knows what he's doing with triplets is Jon Owen!. This should be an excellent buy for a refractor enthusiast.   :icon_biggrin:

33 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

You don't have to use exotic glass elements to achieve an apochromat or very close to one. Astro Physics didn't with their earlier scopes. The Tal 125 Apolar showed little or no CA to my eyes but used non-ED glass types. 

Nevertheless I think I'd want to have a peek through a scope which is relatively unknown before committing.

Another Beacon Hill refractor is on sale here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150mm-apro-triplet-telescope-tube-assembly-/272464936265?hash=item3f702cfd49:g:~O4AAOSwux5YOr47

2 minutes ago, John said:

I can see Beacon Hill written on the ebay scope in Italics, and the scope I've linked is also from Beacon Hill, so it could well be the same maker John :)

7 minutes ago, John said:

I've got an old Beacon Hill catalogue somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and see if these scopes are listed. This was from the late 1980's.

That's an idea, you might find a bit more info about them if they're in there.

18 hours ago, John said:

I've got an old Beacon Hill catalogue somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and see if these scopes are listed. This was from the late 1980's.

I've had a look through my old astro cataloges. In 1993 the Beacon Hill price list included a 6" Apochromatic tube assembly at £1530 for the tube. The Mk II equatorial mount is listed at £290 plus the cost of worm wheels if needed.

In the blurb on refractors in the body of the catalogue they don't mention apos but do say that their refractors over 4" in aperture have objectives made by "one of the very few British optical workers capable of producing a high quality lens".

There are a few Jon Owen 6" apos around - I came across this one (top and bottom of the page) on the Chippingdale Observatory webpage:

http://www.chippingdaleobservatory.com/observatory.php

11 minutes ago, John said:

I've had a look through my old astro cataloges. In 1993 the Beacon Hill price list included a 6" Apochromatic tube assembly at £1530 for the tube. The Mk II equatorial mount is listed at £290 plus the cost of worm wheels if needed.

In the blurb on refractors in the body of the catalogue they don't mention apos but do say that their refractors over 4" in aperture have objectives made by "one of the very few British optical workers capable of producing a high quality lens".

There are a few Jon Owen 6" apos around - I came across this one (top and bottom of the page) on the Chippingdale Observatory webpage:

http://www.chippingdaleobservatory.com/observatory.php

That guy has some serious kit! 20" Newt, 6" Apo, and I think I can see a binocular telescope lurking in the background :)

£1820 seems cheap for a new 6" Apo and mount!

Jon Owen sounds like an interesting guy, I'll have to see if there is much about his work on the net :)

Archived