Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lesser Known Nebulae in Gemini and Orion

scarp15

Within the boundaries of these two constellations, there is a wealth of perhaps lesser known emission and planetary nebulae.

As I sat hopelessly under a blanket of cloud at my observing location on Saturday night, I contemplated my own compilation.

Gemini

Double Bubble Planetary, also referred to as the Gemini or Peanut nebula NGC 231-2. Located south west of Castor, characteristics: look for the duel lobes.

The Medusa Nebula NGC 4194. A large planetary on the border with Canis Minor, of low surface brightness, a roundish haze is detectable with an OIII filter

Jellyfish Nebula IC 443, supernova remnant. Located nearby Propus, advised to use an OIII filter to detect a long structured filament.

Orion

The Monkey Head Nebula NGC 2174. A fairly bight emission nebula located on the border with Gemini, use an OIII filter - worth a visit. 

The Three Snowballs: sh2-254 to 257. Actually a grouping of four emission nebulae, in which 55 and 57 in particular are, so I believe, visible as a milky haze so associated as 'resembling' snowballs.  I understand that a H-beta filter and a moderate sized scope, 12" plus is required, yet as with all of these targets, a dark, crisp and transparent sky is of a fundamental requirement, so perhaps slightly smaller aperture will accomplish this task.

Lowers Nebula sh2-261. A difficult faint emission nebula, yet a H-beta or UHC filter, as I understand, will assist to detect this object.

It would be interesting to learn as to if you have had a past encounter and have comments to contribute about any or number of these objects / have them on your own aspiration list, or would like to find out more. Also please include any additional lesser known nebulae that inhabit this part of the sky.

Cheers

Nice collection there, Iain.  I've one previous encounter with the Double Bubble, from February last year:

Final Gemini object of the evening was NGC 2371-2, the Double Bubble Nebula, a planetary nebula. This was a straightforward hop from a trio of stars that formed the apex of a triangle pointing west from Castor and Pollux. I was excited about the fantastic name! In the 32mm at x47 it was a distinct smudge, not unlike the Dumbell at low power although not as bright. In the 12mm at x125 it was still reasonably bright and acquired an apple core or egg-timer shape, sitting in a pleasant star field. It was elongated SW-NE, with lobes appearing at either end. Moving up to x250 via the Barlow the lobes became more pronounced. The lobe at the NE seemed bigger, with a fainter, concentric outer edge. The SW lobe had a brighter, more concentrated centre.

Will try for some of the other targets you've highlighted over this winter!

Paul

Your mention of the Peanut Nebula ( NGC2371-2) had me searching through my log books because I remember taking on the challenge to observe it.

Sure enough I was  eventually successful whilst I was at the  Kelling Heath Spring Star party 2011 April 1st. I recorded that there was a fairly strong wind 

which was causing my 10" dob to shake a bit but I still managed to get a decent view.

Log entry:- "Very small, I could detect the lobes which gives it the name of the Peanut Nebula. 179x"

Now that I`ve been reminded of it, I`ll shall track it down again. :thumbsup:

Peanut double bubble... Planetary.... too darn small for my normal kit!

Found all the rest though, 3snowball and lowers not mentioned very often at all. I could suggest the Angelfish sh2-268 and barnards loop, but they seem to be fairly "well known", though less well seen. I will have a look at interstellarum for more tonight, sky safari seems to list plenty... not that many will be very visible.

Cheers

PeterW

23 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Good results!  I've not had much luck with nebs except examples of nebulosity around stars. Sky round here must be too bright!  Drat.

Doug.

Good tips and accounts thanks everyone. Doug I'm faced with a similar circumstance living in Tyneside, fine for bright nebulae but little else. Dark sky trips are definitely hit and miss, for all the effort, you win some you lose some, the good ones make up though and are highly worth while. 

A couple of planetary nebulae in that area.  NGC 2022 (12.8, dark mottled centre thru a 16" couple of weeks back) and Abell 12.  Abell 12 (12.4) is tricky as a bright star is nearby.

The Peanut is relatively straight forward, Medusa and Jellyfish are great challenges.  Wide FOV helps for Medusa, nice diffuse arc with OIII, 18" scope).  Have managed two components of the Jellyfish (18" scope, main filament and a knot on the 'other side').

Monkey head can be seen in binoculars (clear, dark sky...), cannot remember trying the Snowballs.  I remember looking and I assume observing Lowers through my 18"....need to dig out my observing notes from a backup drive.

As you note clear, dark skies and patience needed.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul for those observational accounts and particularly for referencing NGC 2022, which I had omitted to include in my brief. For anyone wishing to investigate this planetary nebula, here are some additional details.

http://observing.skyhound.com/archives/jan/NGC_2022.html

Interesting that the Monkey Head is a potential binocular target, it is certainly bright enough seen through a 12" scope and I might pursue it with my 76mm refractor sometime.  I have been digging through my own observing notes and do not appear to have made a reference to the Peanut, so will include this, each of the others as you say will be of a greater challenge. Hunting for all of these will be marvelous if we gain any clear skies over the Christmas into new year period.   

Hi Iain,

I would say Peanut, Medusa, Jellyfish, Monkey Head are relatively easy in 8-10", maybe even smaller aperture ( I have 10"), with Oiii or UHC and even without filter under good conditions. All Sh2-.... you mentioned, probably, for larger aperture unless you have pristine skies, excellent eyesight, good optics and patience with long focal length  :) 

Would be nice to hear from you when you manage to observe those objects. 

Archived