NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How hard would a Stellarium type program be to make?

Manok101

I'm just curious. Is it a matter of just finding the algorithm that keeps track of where things are in the sky and deciding what it is you want to keep track of? This is going to be a hobby project for me so no telling if it will ever actually be finished and workable.

I have a program called universe sandbox 2. It's meant to be a physics simulator, but I suppose you can use it to track the planets in an inefficient way. Just speed time up until you get to the date and time that you want.  Unfortunately, you cannot reverse time. I think it's accurate because I tested it and it showed all of the planets' positions. However, this is costly to get, suggesting complicated creation. Another one, which is free, is space engine. You can download it and you can explore the universe and also view the sky from earth. This game is still being developed and you can sign up to the forum there and ask questions about how they are developing it. Sorry for the bold, I'm kind of stuck with it.

The whole purpose would be to help me learn and practice coding, and I figured since there are already dozens of those kinds of apps, and programs out there that do that that it might not be that difficult for someone like me to do. 

Manok, you are very brave! Stellarium took years of work by a team of developers.

These two books might be a good starting point:

Astronomical Algorithms  and Mathematical Astronomy Morsels V,  both by Jean Meeus.

Good luck!

Well Stellarium is an open source project, so in presumably you should be able to download and inspect the software.   There's also links for developers on the Stellarium pages.   But I can't help thinking there's easier ways to learn coding!

Interesting project though, so good luck!

SR.

Stellarium is a free, and very good planetarium, so I assume you are contemplating this project merely
as a challenge to yourself. Not  something for yourself alone I fear, as stated above, Stellarium is a project
developed by many hands, computers and brains. 
However, if you are determined to succeed, then you have taken the first, and very important step.
I wish you well in your endeavour. We have several very  clever and determined members on SGL, who have undertaken
some, to my mind, very difficult tasks with success.

Another good introduction to the astronomy side is Practical Ephemeris Calculations by Oliver Montenbruck (Springer 1989). It compliments the works of Jean Meeus.

Can't help with the computer programming side, I'm afraid, but two other free planetarium programs I enjoy are Cartes du Ciel and C2A. Both are perhaps a little more scientifically oriented than Stellarium which remains my favorite for the (deceptive) simplicity of its presentation.

Good luck!

Hi Manok - It's just an idea but why don't you fire off an email to the Stellarium team and offer to help out and do some work on the program itself. They may be able to offer you a few simple tasks to get you going and it would be an ideal way to get involved in this sort of software. They might turn you down I don't know - but it's worth asking - nothing ventured nothing gained etc :)

On 22.11.2016 at 10:37, Ruud said:

Astronomical Algorithms  and Mathematical Astronomy Morsels V,  both by Jean Meeus.

I think this phrase should be read as "Astronomical Algorithms  and all Mathematical Astronomy Morsels by Jean Meeus." :D  (Because each volume of Morsels has interesting details)

On 22.11.2016 at 03:39, Manok101 said:

I'm just curious. Is it a matter of just finding the algorithm that keeps track of where things are in the sky and deciding what it is you want to keep track of? This is going to be a hobby project for me so no telling if it will ever actually be finished and workable.

It all depends on the complexity of the program - more difficult planetariums is harder to do.

Archived