NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BBC Stargazing Live

Cjg

Do you think that the BBC will run the Stargazing Live programme again?

Was a bit too much focussed on the ISS last year.

Not seen anything yet, and although I emailed the BBC a week ago, there's been no reply.

Would you watch it again? Will it be pulled by the BBC?

Chris

2 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

end of March

I've just searched the internet and can't find any info about Series 7. Is "end of March" a guess or do you know that to be true?

I found this website where you can sign up to be notified when the transmission dates are announced: http://when-will.net/tv-series/2640-when-is-the-premiere-of-stargazing-live-series-7-release-date.html

March is in a way later then "normal", they used to be mid January, except for one in March which was for a solar eclipse occasion (natuarally it was cloudy).

So if March then I half wonder why. Will say it is an event that they seem to not mention all that much until it is about to occur.

Think I would prefer January as it is usually dry whereas March is not as a rule that great for clear weather and skies.

5 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Considering that actual stargazing is such a small part of the programme, does the time of year matter that much?  :icon_biggrin:

I don't think it matters at all. Television is not a good medium to use to actually show what will be seen through an eyepiece so it is much more about education and encouragement to get involved than it is about how the sky looks on a particular winter evening.

Considering that actual stargazing is such a small part of the programme, does the time of year matter that much? 

:icon_biggrin:

It tends to be a small part of the program but at events the stargazing is generally the main aspect that people turn up for. I think that when they sort of "dedicate" the 3 programs to one aspect - the Solar Eclipse or the person on the ISS - then they lose the original idea behind it.

Thoughts are along the lines of how do you have 3 one hour programs about a solar eclipse that lasts around 2 minutes.

As to the time of year, still prefer it earlier in the year. Not sure which month is generally the least cloudy out of the first 4, or maybe 3. But for some reason Feb I like as there is a cold East wind that gets here, often brings clear skies. But hypothermia can be a bit of a problem. :D

21 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

As usual, we will be doing stargazing live in support of whatever the BBC put on.   :icon_biggrin:

Like flouncing around shouting at each other at a Star Party in a mock-up Albert Square, dressed as popular Eastenders characters? :)

23 hours ago, DRT said:

I don't think it matters at all. Television is not a good medium to use to actually show what will be seen through an eyepiece so it is much more about education and encouragement to get involved than it is about how the sky looks on a particular winter evening.

I dont watch it now really. It is (as you said) and introduction to astronomy. Educational also somewhat........but nothing that cant be found online.

Archived