NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7822 - A skull for Halloween .......

swag72

Totally unintentional, but it seems that I have imaged a skull in space :) Very apt for this time of year so I am told!!

This is a 2 pane mosaic, on my wider field rig .... I've always had a fondness for this target and so have decided to return to it again. Whether I mosaic futher to get the question mark visual in, I'm not too sure. I am battling away at OIII and SII for this, but the weather has not been kind. 

I thought it may give you a smile for Halloween anyway :)

Details:
Mount: mesu 200
Scope: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x
Camera: QSI683 with 3nm Ha filter

15x1800s Ha pane 1, 15x1800s in Ha pane 2 

Total exposure time 15 hours

You can see a larger version here

NGC7822_skull_SGL.jpg

It is very interesting that when objects are imaged and go deeper than is usually seen they take on a totally different appearance, I can see the skull there Sara clear as can be, our brains are really adept at recognising and assembling patterns that are familiar to us. Great imaging as usual.

5 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Wow nice image swag72. Really looks like a skull. What's the name of this nebula? 

It's NGC7822 :)

Thanks for your comments Paddy, Chris, Graeme and Barry - This has taken a few framing examples to get right...... but it's there now! And perhaps I may do two panes downwards as well.....There's too much sky, too many scopes and not enough time :D 

Archived