NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best of Draco.

cotterless45

After the cloud had gone it was return to the scope set up earlier, good to see most of the clear sky. There was a bright glow over most of the view, every light picked up and threw about glow in the moist air.
Just for a change , I went to look west over the rooftops. My garden faces east with good north and trees to the south. 

Draco is packed with binaries , but few viable deep sky targets. 
NGC 6543 (" The Cat's Eye Nebula" ) provided a lovely glowing contrast view up to x200. At x50 it's non stellar and blinks well. 

A few signs of M102 , NGC 4236 (+9.7) and NGC 4125 (+9.8). Binaries abound here and some are stunning,

Σ 1878 shows a shadowy secondary +9.2 to the +6.3 primary, at 4.2".
Σ 1654 gaves à pleasing +9.4 secondary at 3.7".
Eta Draconis is very difficult with a faint +8.2 companion at 4.8" to the bright primary glow of +2.8 . It took some time to pick it out of the primary flare.
Arrakis (μ) shows a lovely twin set of headlights of these +5.7 twins. "Walk without rhythm , don't disturb the worms !"
Epsilon Draconis gave an amazing yellow and blue.
39 Draconis is a seven star system, most obvious was the +8.1 secondary.
Σ 2199 I found quite easy with a clear 2" showing the slightly different +8 and +8.6 magnitudes.

A very difficult session , a few hours then long clouds spread in, ending those 
Clear skies !
Nick.

Nice report as usual Nick, Draco is over looked by me for different reasons, I am not really sure of where it runs other its general location, few stars are really in your face but I have done most of the doubles with the help of the Meade SC goto.

Alan

I used to think Capheus had nothing in it(like I think that there is nothing in Draco), but subsequently it's one of my favourite constellations, sometimes you look at a different place and find something new!

Peter

Archived