Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Soul Nebula SHO pallet

Rodd

Televue np101is at FL 4.3 (with .8x reducer, STT-8300m with 3nm Astrodon Filters:  Total exposure time was 21.5 hours

Ha: 14 30min subs

OIII: 15 30 min subs

SII: 14 30 min subs

3 versions starting with minimally processed through completely process.

SHO-MT.jpg

SHO-MT-LHE.jpg

SHO-final-1.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Love the third version, has real depth to it.

Thanks Knight--When looking at the full image zoomed the 3rd is my favorite too--but when not zoomed I am not so sure (as usual!)

Possibly the third one for me Rodd but very tricky going from one full size to another the old brain can't retain the information :grin:

I always think this should be called the Dog Face Nebula as I can see 3 dog faces in it.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Possibly the third one for me Rodd but very tricky going from one full size to another the old brain can't retain the information :grin:

I always think this should be called the Dog Face Nebula as I can see 3 dog faces in it.

Dave

Thanks Dave--I agree, when in this position it looks like a dog, or some prehistoric equivalent.  When upside down I can see the baby that it is commonly known for.  

2 hours ago, carastro said:

That was an interesting way to present the image, through various stages.  Really like the final version.

Carole 

Thanks Carole....I did that because I am trying to gauge my tendency to over process.  It seems that the Rubicon is somewhere just past  version 3 (some may say it is just shy of version 3). 

Anybody know what this is?  It's a crop of a strange feature in the left hand blue region of the nebula.  I appears like a stellar emission--like a lobe of a star that is being ejected or sucked away by an invisible companion.   It is probably considered a planetary nebula.  Does it have a name?

Crop.jpg

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I think it can take the sharpening in this instance, it really helps give the image a three-dimensional appearance.

Took me a while to find your blob in the main image. It looks like a shock front to me as it's brighter on the left, the same side as the nearby pillars. It could be an EGG maybe?.

Interesting--but according to the Wikipedia definition, EGGs are about 100 AUs in size.  Correct me if I am wrong but I think  100 AUs is beyond the resolving power of a 4" scope for non-stellar objects (depending on distance of course).   For example, the giant proto star near the Bubble Nebula is said to be as large as 300 of our entire solar systems--which would be over 300,000 AUs.  It could be that the 100 AU size is not a requisite so you could be right.  But it sure looks to me like the "blob" is tapering to a point originating at a very tiny star on the right hand side.

You're right, I was misreading the definition and getting my terms mixed up. Could it be a small pillar, either in a later stage of evaporation or containing less materiel to start with?

The blob certainly tapers but I'd guess it is unassociated with the star to its right. I've heard of bipolar outflows but not unipolar, and am unaware of any mechanism that could create one.

2 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

You're right, I was misreading the definition and getting my terms mixed up. Could it be a small pillar, either in a later stage of evaporation or containing less materiel to start with?

The blob certainly tapers but I'd guess it is unassociated with the star to its right. I've heard of bipolar outflows but not unipolar, and am unaware of any mechanism that could create one.

Unless the outflows are not all in the Ha, OIII and SII spetrum.  There could be a lobe reaching into the image that we can'y see...no?  Time to break out the C11Edge I guess. Maybe a close in shot will reveal more details. 

3 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Maybe its the initial stages of a quantum droplet that will detach itself from the universe and begin a new bubble universe.  

18 hours ago, Rodd said:

Anybody know what this is?  It's a crop of a strange feature in the left hand blue region of the nebula.  I appears like a stellar emission--like a lobe of a star that is being ejected or sucked away by an invisible companion.   It is probably considered a planetary nebula.  Does it have a name?

Well it's nice processing not to loose the colour detail to start of with.  Based on colour and surrounding nebulas it could be a PN but as this is a new star forming region i would edge maybe towards the early stages of a protostar, gases clumping together and generating ionisation through the the heat generated by the gravity.  Basically unstable area of matter in the cloud that has started the collapsing process.  If so at some point it will blow-back and shed this outer cover when the star 'ignites' and outbound forces exceed the gravitational collapse revealing the pre-main sequence star and finally after some settling a main sequence.  Or it could just be a blob :) 

Paddy

1 minute ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Well it's nice processing not to loose the colour detail to start of with.  Based on colour and surrounding nebulas it could be a PN but as this is a new star forming region i would edge maybe towards the early stages of a protostar, gases clumping together and generating ionisation through the the heat generated by the gravity.  Basically unstable area of matter in the cloud that has started the collapsing process.  If so at some point it will blow-back and shed this outer cover when the star 'ignites' and outbound forces exceed the gravitational collapse revealing the pre-main sequence star and finally after some settling a main sequence.  Or it could just be a blob :) 

Paddy

Any idea why its tapered to a point (that seems to end up at a tiny star)?  I suppose whether or not it actually is in close proximity to the star can't be determined....but it does taper.

4 hours ago, gnomus said:

Hey Rodd, you're getting real good at this.  For me somewhere between v2 and v3, but slightly nearer to 2.  

Thanks Gnomus.  Yeah, I just realized that the dark patches in the blue areas are not holes through which background is seen--they are dust patches in front of the blue areas! That changes how this target is processed.  This sort of came as a revelation to me......(I'm a slow learner!).

Thinking about it, the blob could be a planetary that is coincidentally in front of the Soul. Its appearance is similar to SH2-188 (martin_h's image reminded me of this) which is moving rapidly through the interstellar medium, resulting in a shock front and tapering tail.

That sounds interesting.  I guess the big question is has anybody seen this object before? Is it documented in any database?

Thinking about it, the blob could be a planetary that is coincidentally in front of the Soul. Its appearance is similar to SH2-188 (martin_h's image reminded me of this) which is moving rapidly through the interstellar medium, resulting in a shock front and tapering tail.

Upon closer inspection (I looked at Martins image), the 2 objects are not very similar.  PNs typically look gaseous, this object looks much more opaque.  Its edges are much better defined.

Archived