Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC1333 Sony A7S

sharkmelley

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, sharkmelley said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  That's a great result you've produced!  You've certainly done a better job than me of removing the background gradients.  Maybe the colouring is overall a little subdued in your version.  In any case I think I need to revisit my attempt.  It would certainly be easier with more data, to make it less noisy.  The noise reduction is quite a challenge.

Your version looks really 3D - mine seems a little flat by comparison.

Mark

You're right about the noise. You can see a lot of noise in my effort when you view the full size. Imagine what another 3 hours would do to the image. That A7s is a serious bit of kit, and it doesn't hurt to be connected to the epsilon. 

Thank you for sharing your great data Mark!

You saved my Saturday afternoon since I have no fresh data of my own due to the usual cloudy reason. Here is what I came up with using Photoshop CS5. Nothing as fancy as an LLRGB method though.

Cheers

ngc1333_dbev2GN2.jpg

2 hours ago, sharkmelley said:

I really like that result for the following reason.  You have identified, correctly I think, that the only small area completely free of dust is that small patch on the left hand side, just down and right of the red nebulosity.  All the other "background" areas have a thin veiled layer of dust.  I wasn't brave enough to present my image in that way and so I ended up with black clipping in that dark patch.  These kind of images are a big challenge for background extraction.

You have very good star colours as well!

As Olly said, it does look slightly green but that is a minor criticism and maybe, just maybe, it actually IS green.

Mark

Green seems to be an ongoing theme for me, :icon_biggrin: I did hit it with HLVG in PS but only medium.

Having seen the two previous images I thought there was a bit more in there so went with the finer dust.

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks. I assume you split the lum from the rgb pre stretch?

No need to split - just load it once, copy it into a new document then covert one of them to greyscale, putting all the effort of sharpening, contrast and selective noise reduction into that one.

Tutorial here:

http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

• 4 weeks later...

That's a great image Mark, thanks for making the data available. I had a go myself with Photoshop seeing as it's raining this evening.

The one thing I had in mind was Olly's comment on his thread about not wanting the dust to look like clay. In working towards that goal I've made some errors, I've clipped the black, gone beyond the noise limit and I think there's too much red/magenta but I like the end result so I'm putting it out there - your data is one of many sets that's helping me to learn the ropes and refine things before I actually start gathering serious data myself. So thank you.

ngc1333_dbev2.jpg

Archived