Orion-Taurus Widefield

54 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

How are you finding it to get focus using the pancake?

Thanks ALL! Interesting question... Still v.much on the "learning curve" re. both
DSLR Cameras and Lenses. For what it's worth, I started out  auto-focussing on
"mid-distant" street lamps. (I quickly noted, adding a filter, changes the focus!)
then setting the lens to "manual" and attaching the Camera to the mount...

HOWEVER, I sensed that the various "jigglings & pokings" can push an STM lens
out of focus sometimes?  I THEN found that I could actually use the screen (x10)
to manually focus the lens -- Provided I have some brighter stars, centre field? :)
(I imagine I can adjust the display time, so I don't have to be quite so quick!?)

This particular lens (24mm Pancake) ended up not being "too much of an issue"?
Preliminary struggles with "My Precious" (70-200mm f/4 manual) suggest I may
need a different "strategy" for longer focal lengths! (the Pleiades, Hyades etc.) :p

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I was curious because having just tested my 40mm pancake the other day the motors only engage for a few seconds after half pressing the shutter button and I saw this as a pain to then try to manually focus the lens.

Curious, I have the 50mm STM that has no problem with continual manual focus provided that is selected it is limited to about 3 seconds though if in auto focus mode with the BB pressed.

Alan

Noting that this, probably my most "popular" ever image,
was taken with the most standard equipment / settings! :D
(Without engaging my doubtless prodigious  skills. lol)

I SENSE there is a *trace* of "Barnard's Loop" emerging?
Now imagining what might be achieved with REAL skills -
Darks, flats, longer exposures, more THOUGHT etc. etc. ;)

I have, over time, collected quite a few FILTERS too... For the Pancake lens, I have a 52 --> 48mm step ring. The above was taken with a 2" Skywatcher LPR filter. Next time, I may try my Baader 1.25" UHC-S maybe? (I have a 2" [48mm] to 1.25" [Astro] thread adapter) MY experience with "Narrow Band" (video astronomy) reminded me that much light is lost for focussing, but note Baader make a 35nm H-Alpha filter... Why do I never get (stay) rich! :p

Hopefully not omitting YOUR particular ORION masterpiece:
http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2010/10/22/orion-from-head-to-toes.html
Emphatically NOT MINE! But really takes my breath away.:)

Still genuinely excited about wide field... </wibble>

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Used the 40mm pancake last night. Camera is set to BBF and manual mode and manual focus, connected to DSLR Controller on my android tablet. I did not press the shutter button once and the focus ring stayed operational. Once happy with focus moved switch to auto focus and that was that focus was locked, job done.

Archived