Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pulse Guide (EQMOD) or ST4?

RayD

I currently have my AZEQ6 running via EQDirect, and use pulse guiding, which seems to produce pretty good results.  Is this the recommended method as I've seen a few mentions of people using ST4?

I use pulse guiding purely because it was the method recommended in the EQMOD manual, but wondered if you had reasons for using ST4, or whether you think I am on the right track with pulse guiding?

Many thanks.

4 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Comes down to Personal preference

Thing is I'm new to AP so don't really have a personal preference, so am really looking to understand what the benefits of each method are.  Are you saying that both methods are equally as good as each other, so just pick either?

Thanks.

Yes.

I successfully use the ST-4 connection to guide ten minute subs on a C11 working at f10 with my NEQ6 mount.

I use PHD2 or more recently AstroArt for guiding.

No issues, no drama.

Edited by Merlin66

• 3 years later...

I know it’s a old post but

using ASIAIR Eq5 pro should I stay with eqdir  or got to st4 and free up a usb for my EAF ? I know I could use a hub but would rather not and my camera doesn’t have a USB port out.

thanks

Edited by Fieldsy

On 30/04/2020 at 01:15, Fieldsy said:

I know it’s a old post but

using ASIAIR Eq5 pro should I stay with eqdir  or got to st4 and free up a usb for my EAF ? I know I could use a hub but would rather not and my camera doesn’t have a USB port out.

thanks

Not quite sure I understand this? Wont you still need the mount plugged into the ASIAIR for goto? So ST4 will only be an extra cable from the camera to mount?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Not quite sure I understand this? Wont you still need the mount plugged into the ASIAIR for goto? So ST4 will only be an extra cable from the camera to mount?

Doh forgot that one . Ah But i wouldn't need the eqmod I think.?

Edited by Fieldsy

Knobby/ Gina,

You can definitely plate solve using an ST-4 guide connection.

You do need to set an "Aux Mount" in the PHD set-up. This is what I do with my Lodestar on the C11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asiair plate solves with main scope definitely.

So the difference between st4 and eqmod/asiair is pulse guiding And that is normally the best guiding ?.

Would that be a correct assumption?

Thanks

The jury is still out..ST-4 v's Pulse guide..

It comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I still use ST-4 connections to guide my C11/ NEQ6pro/ EQMod/ Lodestar for spectroscopy. No issues.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

I thought it would still control it as the image from guide cam is still the same .

Yes, guiding, but if you remove the EQMod cable from the equation you'll lose mount control - slewing to target, platesolving, etc - from the ASIAIR. The ST4 cable can only be used for guiding via the driver on the camera, if that's my understanding.

What have you plugged into the Air anyway? I only need 4 usb ports and I run an autofocuser?

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

Yes, guiding, but if you remove the EQMod cable from the equation you'll lose mount control - slewing to target, platesolving, etc - from the ASIAIR. The ST4 cable can only be used for guiding via the driver on the camera, if that's my understanding.

What have you plugged into the Air anyway? I only need 4 usb ports and I run an autofocuser?

Zwo 120mini guid, eqmod,178mm,filterwheel and eaf on the way so may have to get usb hub just not sure if doubling up will produce another issue.