Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The EQ3 DSO Challenge

6 minutes ago, rotatux said:

BTW nice image, I like star colors too (a bit too cyan?). Interestingly the version I prefer is your last one without darks (less contrasty mottles), but it's maybe just a matter of black point.

Thanks, no there was less noise = less noise removal = less mottle.

With the cooled DSLR (well below zero) Ha seems to benefit from darks but ordinary images don't, probably an issue of temperature matching, but the noise really is very low.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2017 at 14:38, Nigel G said:

Art, I just found out its part of the Lobster claw :) ( my Bubble image )

Better late than never :)

Sorry, I've only just noticed this, been away on a summer break to Holland! Nice work Nige, how did you find out? nova.astrometry.net?

@Stub Mandrel that last one of the Sadr region is great! Definitely less blotchy than the versions with the dark frames, there's still a slight grain running through it, not sure what the cause would be, but I'd be very happy with a shot like that! I've noticed some others on here swear by not taking darks, and just using flats and bias for their calibration frames, is that what you did?

10 minutes ago, Art Gecko said:

Sorry, I've only just noticed this, been away on a summer break to Holland! Nice work Nige, how did you find out? nova.astrometry.net?

No worries :) I saw another Bubble image with the lobster claw nebula in it, here on SGL :) 

I'm off sailing for a week tonight, bet its going to be clear and moonless for the whole week :) 

Nige.

6 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

No worries :) I saw another Bubble image with the lobster claw nebula in it, here on SGL :) 

I'm off sailing for a week tonight, bet its going to be clear and moonless for the whole week :) 

Nige.

I'm hoping to top up my Eagle nebula this week. Enjoy your sailing, you going anywhere nice? Ever drop a hook over the side? :happy7:

• Like 1

I managed to get nearly another hour on my Eagle Nebula last night, in between the clouds... Still found this one really hard to cut the light pollution from, but I'm getting more pleased with the results... So in total, this is 1 hour 44.5 minutes all in 30 sec subs, with darks and flats and 3 attempts at processing before I was anywhere near happy with it... well it's looking a lot smoother at least :icon_biggrin:

EagleNebula_1h45m.jpg

• Like 4

I managed Stephans Quintet, Pleiades, double Cluster, m2, and some Nebula near Denab, and only came in at 02:45 as it's my wedding anniversary today so my wife would have been a bit mad if it had been an all nighter. Sort of processed a few so far and will update later.   Currently about £50 down at Beverley races!!  

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4526.JPG

• Like 3

Don't you just love that moment in DSS when you see the 1st image, then the improvement when levels are aligned etc, here's the difference on Saturday nights Double Cluster.  39 x 45 sec plus darks and Bias.  May add flats later.

Capture.JPG.1b242e002e97a05ae64b07aec9bfad5d.JPG

2.thumb.jpg.3887fa6955cd2f4ebee7f38847ed01fa.jpg

• Like 2

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 15:57, Art Gecko said:

. Enjoy your sailing, you going anywhere nice? Ever drop a hook over the side? :happy7:

Thanks ☺yes very keen fisherman ( www.fishynige.co.uk  ) , we are Sailing the East coast, Ipswich,  Aldeburgh,  Orford.  

Nice dark sky's  so far,  great observing with the bins, laying on deck gazing at night. Hope to get some Milky Way shots from Orford in a couple of days time.

Cheers. 

Nige.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2017 at 21:46, Peco4321 said:

Great bodes @jjosefsen, here's my attempt, no where near as nice but exactly same composition. Only 20 x 60 plus darks and bias, next time will go for more data, maybe 45 sec to make it sharper. 

150p eq3-2 unguided canon 1100d  

IMG_4508.thumb.JPG.2f78ca9210d06c152fedbe2c761bf1c5.JPG

Hi,

I like it, turned out pretty good.

Your editing it more subtle than mine, it looks more natural I think.

What ISO were you shooting at?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

Hi,

I like it, turned out pretty good.

Your editing it more subtle than mine, it looks more natural I think.

What ISO were you shooting at?

Thanks. I think it was 800, that's usually what I choose. 

Edited by Peco4321

Here's my attempt last night at the eastern end of the Veil Nebula, I think that's how you describe it.  50 x 45 sec ISO 800 plus darks and bias. Quite like the colour I've managed to draw out. First time at this object. 

IMG_4606.thumb.JPG.47f039f9ae779ef15a5f4072f825d119.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG.d8471228b114cd05944fd286419415d9.JPG

• Like 3

Had a little go at M17 the other night... only managed to get 38 mins though as it sits in a tight window from my garden, very low and close to the neighbours rooftops... Had man-flu all week so haven't bothered adding to it yet as seems like too much effort to carry the scope outside.

SwanNebula2_38min.jpg

• Like 2

Nice M17 @Art Gecko hope you get over your flu soon.

I was looking for a target as far from the Moon as possible, IC1805 the Heart nebula fitted the bill and perfectly in frame for my 80ED.

A misty evening turned to a clear night, dumped 12 because of moisture in the air, I tried wrapping a warm tea towel around the scope and changing it every 10 minutes for another warm tea towel ( 2 tea towels warmed down the front of my trousers to body temp :) ) No dew build up on the main scope.

20x240s + darks, flats and bias. ISO800 - EQ3, 1200D, 80ED.

Cheers

Nige.

heart80ed2.thumb.jpg.523f1014e8892f67e5748f79e962d119.jpg

• Like 5

Just buzzing around the interweb at some pics, The Hubble Pillars of creation in M16. considering a light polluted back garden at about sea level with a tiny 80ED EQ3 and cheap DSLR they are visible, a massive crop of M16 and the famous Hubble image. Mines the one on the right :hiding:

Nige.

m16crop_edited_edited_edited_edited.jpg.e50751ed39f6c974660650971af92c56.jpghubbell-pillars_of_creation.thumb.jpg.18a4b8c62c41f0962948302bb00f94f6.jpg

• Like 1