Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a lot of fun!

Piero

A brief report from last night! The darkest night I have ever had from my home garden! At least until the Moon popped up! :) 

Date 23/09/2016
Time 23:00-1:40
Location Cambridge, UK
Lunar Phase Waning Crescent 33%
Temperature 9C (NW 5 km/h)
Seeing 1 - Perfect seeing
Transparency 5 - Clear
Darkness 19.95

NGC869/ 884 Per Opn CL 15x, 40x
Double cluster. Visible with naked eye. Great view! Faint stars were visible near the centre of each cluster at 40x.

NGC6992 Cyg SN Rem 15x + OIII
Veil nebula. Grey shape, but not well defined. Still great to be able to see this from home!

NGC6960 Cyg SN Rem 15x + OIII
Veil nebula. Grey shape, but not well defined. Still great to be able to see this from home!

NGC7000 Cyg Neb 15x + OIII
North America nebula. Fuzzy North American continent was detectable.

M74 Psc Galaxy 15x
Extremely faint grey area. Averted vision and jiggling telescope.

M31 And Galaxy 15x
Visible with naked eye. No peripheral part was visible.

M32 And Galaxy 15x
Small smudge.

M110 And Galaxy 15x
Small smudge.

M33 Tri Galaxy 15x
This actually show more area extension than M31. No detail.

NGC604 Tri Neb 15x +/- OIII
Nebula inside M33. I tried to spot this nebula, but I did not succeed. It was invisible.

M77 Cet Galaxy 15x, 40x
Cetus A. Easy to spot. SB seemed similar to M81.

Moon - Satellite 72x, 90x
Lovely and crisp view of this waning crescent Moon.

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Is your 60 your only scope?

I also have a dobson 8", but this lives in Italy. So.. yeah, in the UK this is my only scope! :) 

Despite its obvious limitations, it works very well!

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sounds like an excellent sky Piero! Maybe should have tried some doubles with perfect seeing?

I like the idea of a giggling scope, fun :) 

ahah yeah.. thanks corrected! Although it might be that in telescope language he giggled at my attempt for that target! :D 

I like doubles but not very into it. Capella gave a nice star test last night! :) 

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Very successful night Piero, brilliant and all of this with your TV60, lets hope for more with the next new moon phase not being too far off.

Thanks Iain! Let's cross our fingers for clear skies! :) Are you taking your 14" out soon? 

37 minutes ago, Piero said:

Thanks Iain! Let's cross our fingers for clear skies! :) Are you taking your 14" out soon? 

Yes I hope to Piero as I have a quieter period at work after next weekend which coincides with the new moon period, so some flexibility for getting to a dark site. I would also like to take along my TV76 for wide field and explore Cygnus probably for the final time this season.

Great report, really interesting to see what you can do with a 60mm refractor, albeit a very good one! You picked up some tricky objects. You were very fortunate to have such excellent seeing too. I have a 66mm and 72mm refractor which I use for quick sessions and I am always surprised at the great views they provide. The widefield tends to 'concentrate' faint fuzzies making them brighter than you would expect, and stars look wonderfully pinpoint and sharp. Doubles and clusters are my favourites in small fracs. 

Nicely done! Great report and some good catches. It's good to see that you seem to be still enjoying the views through the little scope following a few good sessions with the dob!

I found high-ish mags helped with NGC 604, with 180x being better than 80x at coaxing it out from my NELM 5.5 location. This was in the 10" scope which I guess is a different kettle of fish completely to your TV, but upping it from the 15x you tried might be worth a shot. This one seems to retain a good amount of brightness at higher mags. I couldn't believe it when I looked up the Hubble images of this one!

4 hours ago, Size9Hex said:

Nicely done! Great report and some good catches. It's good to see that you seem to be still enjoying the views through the little scope following a few good sessions with the dob!

I found high-ish mags helped with NGC 604, with 180x being better than 80x at coaxing it out from my NELM 5.5 location. This was in the 10" scope which I guess is a different kettle of fish completely to your TV, but upping it from the 15x you tried might be worth a shot. This one seems to retain a good amount of brightness at higher mags. I couldn't believe it when I looked up the Hubble images of this one!

Thanks a lot for the advise! I will try higher mags next time. Hopefully it is detectable! 

And yes, I'm still enjoying the views my 60mm delivers, although I freely admit that I'd like to have a dobson as primary telescope!

Archived