Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10" Dob, New Forest.

cotterless45

Setting up on the edge of the forest, soon skies turned very dark.Putting up the truss poles showed that collimation had hardly shifted.

The Milky Way dominated the sky, it's full width from Sulafat to Tarazed, splitting through Cygnus , standing on twisting legs. It spread the width of Cygnus wings, going through the double cluster to glowing Perseus.

Cassiopeia again began to lose its shape    and  Cepheus was a struggle to pick out in the fields of stars.

The dark rift and nebulosity at Deneb  caught the view ,how split and twisted this bright band becomes weaving through the sky .

Scanning these areas was breathtaking in my x15 bins,both Aquila and Lyra packed with stars, try scanning down from Altair. Using the PSA and bins to pick out targets and searching at x40 produced easy results with a big of juggling.

M13 and M92 took x150-x200, same for a view filling M57. Straight over towards Albireo to M56, then across to a glowing M27,looking so different against z dark background peppered with stars.

From Sadalmelik cross to M2 taking x150. Find delta Aquilae and you're near the fabulous M11,so granular at x150.

From a bright Algol, arch around 16Persei into the bright NGC 1023 at low power. In the same CnV cloud as fainter NGC891, caught just off Almach to Algol at x40.

NGC 7789 looked gloriously dark and dusty. I took some time here at a filling x150, very absorbing.

With Cygnus past the zenith, I caught the whole UHC Eastern Veil arch at x40, sweeping right around searching 51 Cygni. The brightest parts being clear without the filter.

More nebulosity in the NAN, Pelican,NGC 6888 , around Sadr and up to IC1396, most of these areas are vast.

Thin high misty stuff ended. Superb session of star hopping.

I hope that you can get to a dark sky and enjoy under,

clear skies,

Nick.

Almost forgot to mention M33, glorious with signs of structure.

The big surprise was spotting the double cluster by eye bang in the middle of the Milky Way.

The light pollution map of the U.K. Does look dismal, but there are pockets of Stygian dark,

Nick.

Archived