Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Demonperformer

ZWO EOS adapter (lens release)

In preparation for the 1600, I ordered an EOS adapter from FLO, which duly arrived. Having attached it to one of my canon lenses, there appeared to be no way of removing it [There are no instructions included]! There is a small silver screw on the side, which seemed to do nothing no matter how hard I pressed it, or even completely removed it. After an afternoon of emails back and forth with Steve, he came up with the answer. This screw is pushed away from the lens (acting like a small lever rather than a button) to release the lens.

Great support from FLO, and am posting in case anyone runs into similar problems - even though, the fact that Steve had apparently not encountered this query from customers before, presumably means this will be of benefit only to those as extraordinarily-mechanically-inept as I am!.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weird it comes off easily for me without pushing the screw though I did wonder what that was for so thanks for sharing!

That got me getting it out and having another look ....

When I look from the back (camera end) of the lens, with the red marker in the 12-o'clock position, there is, at roughly the 11-o'clock position, a small indent on the outermost ring facing me. It appears to be into this that the small protrusion on the adapter that is manipulated by the screw-lever lodged so requiring the application of that screw-lever to release it.

However, there are actually three ways that a lens can be put onto the adapter (120° apart) because it does not have to line up the electronics with the camera, and when I put the lens on in one of the other two positions, it does indeed come off with no need to apply the button. Whilst holding it firmly at the moment, I wonder if, with wear, these would become relatively 'unstable' positions, liable to slippage, in due course? Don't know ... probably not noticeably in a relatively large number of uses ... but I think I shall choose to use the 'locked' option (now I know how to release it) on a 'belt & braces' philosophy.

Either way, I guess it is good to know of the 1/3 possibility of it going on and being locked in place by chance. The last thing I would want, when tired at the end of the evening, would be to find that the equipment wouldn't come apart as it always had before.

Thanks.

Yes that makes sense because I didn't get a reassuring "click" when the lens went on like you do on the DSLR. I too shall use the screw setting next time. It's lucky I didn't have it that way the first time, never good to be using a hammer and chisel late at night!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By masjstovel
      Hi,
      I bought my first telescope, SW 150pds about 6 months ago with the purpose of astroimaging "when i feel ready".  So far ive used my Nikon D810 for that, and I'm now  planning on taking the step buying my first AP camera.
      My targets would be DSO's, and not planetary. I want a mono-camera, not color. 

I want to get away with a very good camera to a reasonable price (wouldn't we all...) and in this regard I've been drooling on the ZWO ASI 1600MM Mono for some time. The price for it is in the upper part of my budget, but I'm willing to if its worth it.  I've seen from other treads that sensor-size isn't everything, and dynamic range and gain and all is just as important, but i have trouble understanding it all 100% when it's all new to me, but in my experience i am a practical person who learns things much better and faster with the gear in my hand. So without getting to technical, and staying as objective as possible - please help me with; 

1. Is this a good camera to go for?
      2. It's sold with options of filters 1.25", 31mm or 36mm - Why these options, and what determines what i would choose?

3. Would you go for another camera in this price range, and why? - Or to rephrase it a bit; If you were in my shoes, which camera would you og for?

I'd appreciate any help:)

I might add, that i understand that with my lack of experience, buying a mono-camera with filters and all might seem premature, but for some strange reason. I enjoy these "way over my head"-projects and figuring  out things as time goes - I just need some guiding in the right direction. 
    • By Fabiolus
      Good day,
      I own a  skywatcher Heq5 pro mount, its awesome!
      I just realized the AC wire for my AC / DC adapter is broken (see pic 1). I found another AC wire from an old AC adapter and was wondering if this is ok?  I see the gauge wire is bigger  though and wonder if it matters?
      I am thinking of cutting near the female adapter and soldering it back to the entire length of wire that came from the laptop adapter even though the gauge is bigger. ( see pic 2).
      Thank you.

• By Ricker
      I am imaging with a ZWO 178mc-cooled and am having trouble removing amp glow.  I am using darks in the same conditions as lights and stacking and imaging with SharpCap.  I am left with a image looking like below.  No matter what I do I seem to be always left with this residual amp glow signature,  Any ideas out there?

Rich

• By Ervin
      Hello there!
      I am almost a noob to telescopes, but in the past weeks I have been watching Mars, Neptune, Saturn etc. But absolutely no look with any galaxy or cluster.
      And guess what, I LOVE IT!
      I own a Celeston Nexstar 4SE and a Nikon 3100 but I have no idea what I need to buy to connect them. Something like a T adaptor or I dont know... please help!
      Also, I would love to use some filters and a wifi for my AUX so I can use the app on my phone. So it woul be great to help with those aswell. I know that my telescope is not very good with nebulas and stuff like that, but I guess it can still take some decent shots of them right?
    • By widotje
      Hi all,
      Since a few days, I'm the proud owner of the asi1600 Pro.
      Performed some first tests, see: https://youtu.be/hHJBbpNoi2I

I used SGP Pro to test cooling and dark frames (2m and 5m) on unity gain settings.
      Is it ok to use unity gain (139) setting or should I use high dynamic range?
      Also, this is my first mono. Do I need to take flats/bias frames for each filter separately?
      And how could I stack either broadband or narrowband images? I'm used to deep sky stacker.
      Cheers,

Wido

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.