NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Quarks Keep Coming

David Smith

Personally, I would rather see them sort out the QA problems they seem to have with the original Quarks. I avoided the Calcium Quark in favour of a Lunt Ca-K module, and haven't regretted it for a moment. It oozes build quality, is up and running in seconds, and has a beautifully even field.

I Have to say I won't be rushing to buy one. The images I have seen look very similar to white light but there must be a hook somewhere! Still I would rather spend my money on an upgrade to my H Alpha rig before looking at this and if you need a front-mounted ERF then this will not be a "cheap" addition.

It does seem a strange one, like white light only more expensive, and less detail by the looks of it!!

The one I've thought about is the Combo Quark ie without the Barlow. Seems like I could use it in my Tak with a x2 Barlow ahead of it (and behind a D-ERF of course), and be at f15.8/1480mm focal length and get full disk views.....

Am I missing something?

I suppose there is a wavelength effect on resolution... but also an intensity effect due to element abundance?
Then there is the distribution of the emitter versus height (depth) in the solar atmosphere? H-Alpha is quite
different to CaK in these respects. Buying a whole load of "intermediate" solar scopes might be less useful? :)

http://www.stephenramsden.com/SOLARASTROPHOTOGRAPHY/Observing in Ca II K.pdf

See plot on page one. ;)

Archived