Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera for astrophotography

Fathead

Hi I have been thinking to upgrade my old (very) old Olympus OM-10 camera to a more modern DSLR having film takes so long nowadays to develop. I was considering a Canon EOS 400D which can be bought for around £50 second hand, this version has live view unlike the versions before. I know its an old camera compared to todays standard but has any body used one of these either on a piggy back mount or through the telescope?

Any help will be grateful

Hi,

not sure the 400D has live view, but the 450D and newer does...?? But I may be wrong

you can pick up Astro modded 450, 1000, and 1100D cameras on ABS for around £120... There has been a few on there in the last couple of months...

:)

You could consider a respectable webcam? My older, MS Lifecam is full hd & so far on limited use, has produced some great images. There are new branded webcams coming to market regularly so an up to date one should be a safe buy.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 17:58, mak90fan said:

You could consider a respectable webcam? My older, MS Lifecam is full hd & so far on limited use, has produced some great images. There are new branded webcams coming to market regularly so an up to date one should be a safe buy.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 17:58, mak90fan said:

You could consider a respectable webcam? My older, MS Lifecam is full hd & so far on limited use, has produced some great images. There are new branded webcams coming to market regularly so an up to date one should be a safe buy

I been thinking about getting one of these as am new to imaging Altair Astro GPCAM v2 Colour IMX224 Guide Imaging Camera and was wondering if it also works like a webcam got video and imaging

I just picked up a 1000D with the kit lens in mint condition with < 2k on the shutter for £92 might be the cheapest thing going in astrophotography ??

I've got a ms lifecam hd modified for Astro also, I've just put an IR filter back in it so hoping for a decent non pink planet shot soon as cloudfest finishes.

2 hours ago, John78 said:

I just picked up a 1000D with the kit lens in mint condition with < 2k on the shutter for £92 might be the cheapest thing going in astrophotography ??

I've got a ms lifecam hd modified for Astro also, I've just put an IR filter back in it so hoping for a decent non pink planet shot soon as cloudfest finishes.

good price i use the 1000d its ok though haven`t modded mine ....yet:)

3 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

good price i use the 1000d its ok though haven`t modded mine ....yet:)

I need astrotortilla in my life and I can't afford a CCD so it had to be a Canon - I think I'm ready now for guided, plate solved EQ5 imaging - just need the clouds to do one and I'll give M31 an evenings love.

With my MS Lifecam, I think I will run it over the winter and post some results on here for feedback & advice. Going back to a 'live' DSLR could be an option thereafter.

One question, which is more favourable, 640 x 420 or higher? Not found any advice on this matter? 

Thanks John

Archived