Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noob AVX questions

Hey guys, 

First post here. I received my AVX mount 2 days ago, and on my second night I finally got the Go-To and tracking right. First night the controller didn't ask my for location info, and I didn't input location by overriding the preset.

I was doing some visual observing, and then decided to photograph Alberio. For that I had to remove my eyepiece and attach my camera. And because the mount is ALWAYS tracking (what ever it is pointed at), the motors are running, and I was worried to put even slight pressure on the tube while tightening the t-adapter. Is it ok to put slight pressure on the telescope to reconfigure it, while the mount is turned on? I would prefer to keep the mount turned on, since every time I turn it off, I have to input the date and time over again. And maybe there is a way to disable tracking?

I also noticed that when the clutches are released, its still hard to balance, because it doesn't swing freely. How do you guys do precise balancing with the AVX?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have an avx so can't help much with the balancing . Although I've seen a few set up and it looked to me as though the axis was swinging freely . Maybe someone else can help with that . 

You should be able to put pressure on the mount in order to fit a t adapter without disturbing anything . 

There is no problem in tweaking the OTA etc when on the mount, you do not have to turn it off.

I had the AVX and yes the axis does not swing that freely, you need to give it a nudge when balancing.

Have a check on YouTube as there are plenty of watchable guides for balancing and EQ and they apply to pretty much any mount in principal.

It looks daunting at first but when you have done it a few times it becomes second nature.

Seconding this, I have an avx and poking and prodding it doesn't cause any problems at all.

As for balance, the declination axis is a bit stiff, I balance the ota on it first with no counterweights attached set the mount to the home position and give it a nudge both ways, if it takes longer to stop one way than the other, I rebalance and try again.

Pro tip, once you get it balanced, mark your dovetail with some tape for next time!

The AVX does suffer with a bit of "sticktion" when trying to balance so give it a bit of a nudge as suggested above. Always get it balanced before you intend to use it during daylight so you can see what you are doing. Mark the dovetail and makes notes of positions of weights or OTA for various configurations so you can easily replicate it at night.

Peter

Archived