Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Took my Celestron AVX Mount out this afternoon to familiarize my self with it in the daylight. Wasn’t sure if or how it would work, since it’s my first goto Mount. I got it setup per the directions and attached the SkySync GPS. It locked on my location very quickly so I did the Quick Align option just as a test. The polar scope was oriented north, and I used Sky Safari to locate stars I couldn’t see cause it was daytime. My first choice was Sirius and it slewed  right around to what should be the general vicinity! I then chose Venus in the West and off it went! I hit home and it went back to the original setup position. I can’t wait to take it out tomorrow night and really put it through it’s paces! This is totally most excellent!

• Like 7

Hi Greg, great to hear the AVX is working out for you. Skies permitting put that baby to work!

John

• Like 1

That’s awesome, remember that if your mount has a polar scope you can greatly assist it’s accuracy  by visually finding Polaris then leveling and adjusting your mount so Polaris is centered in the crosshairs of your polar scope.

This will assure good accuracy, centering Polaris on the crosshairs is good enough for visual observing, later if you want to get into AP, you’ll want an app which shows exactly where to put Polaris off center from crosshairs for hyper accuracy as Polaris actually spins in a little circle as the hours pass.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

After seeing so many “GoTo - Help Needed!” Threads. What a nice change to read about a positive experience!

Enjoy your new toy. 

Paul

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PlanetGazer
      Long storey short :
      the OTA slips dramtecly when vewing an object to 0 altitude.
      Details:
      So I bought the Skywatcher GoTo flextube 10 inch a year ago. It was nothing but great, until yesterday when I was just starting the session to level up the scope on the mount for alignment. I Went to get some equipment and when back noticed the scope has declined to a minus reading on the altitude! With no attachments on the OTA. 
      I re-leveled it to the horizon and it held itself, put on the nothing but stock attachments as usual. Switched on the GoTo and started aligning, when alignment is successful, I chose an object and notice the object is far off.  I check the battery voltage and it's 12.5 volts, which indicates it's not a battery issue.
      I turn it off to re-align again, this time when I press the up arrow to align to an object I notice the GoTo gears struggle to move the OTA upwards, but eventually the speed increase to normal and manage to points upwards to the object. I pick a second object which happens to be near the zenith and the GoTo goes out of control straight to zenith and carrying on above 90+ degrees on the altitude bearing. I try to stop the scope with the handset before the base of telescope hits the wood in the base, only to notice the handset is not showing light or responding. I turn the GoTo off.
      Start to align for the third time, this time aligns but still off target. I ignore and start viewing Jupiter which happens to be 40+ in altitude , after few minutes of viewing, the scope drops slowly to zero altitude with no hand or handset movement! Handset is still showing that the viewed object is still Jupiter!
      Note: I did notice weird sounds of the gears when trying to increase altitude. Not the common sound.
      Has anyone faced this issue and fixed it, should I return under guarantee? Is this a gear slippage? Or clutches not engaged? Your help will be much appreciated!

• By deanchapman2705
      Hi,
      I'm relatively new to the whole telescope thing but have done my research and was fixed on getting the Orion skyquest XT8i or XT10i. By spending that much money, I didn't like the idea of purchasing it online from their website without seeing it in person (and not having the reassurance of being able to take it back) and looked for stores in the UK that would supply them. After plenty of research, it seems like they don't exist anymore and they are only in the US? Is this right or could anyone help me?
      (I've looked at the Sky-watcher 250PX/200PX flextube skyscan goto but it is significantly heavier and the noise of the goto mechanism sounds like a table saw so that's put me off of it...)
      Any help would be much appreciated,
      Thanks
    • By Batesy82
      Hi guys,
      I've literally just signed up so I'm totally new here and excited to learn from all you professional astromaster... 
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so I do apologise if not... 
      I'm after a skywatcher eq3 pro goto mount for my celestron astromaster 130eq every website i go on they are out of stock and not available for a couple of months 🙄 does anybody know a stockist that has these in stock? I've only been in the astrophotography hobby 4 weeks so I've got lots to learn... 

Thank you for your help 
    • By Giedrius05
      Dear colleagues,
      I am new in astronomy and got my SkyWatcher Star Discovery 150Pi WiFi AZ GoTo, however I am experiencing one big problem. When I try to align my telescope using SynScan Pro app on laptop or smartphone the telescope always points wrong direction. I do not have hand controller.
      I set telescope north using compass, enter latitude and longitude, but when try to align 1 star or 2 stars, telescope spins way, way off. When the star is in the South East it shows north east, or sometimes points absolutely wrong direction. When it is set on the north and object is 98 degrees east it goes some 30 degrees. It also points lower or higher.
      I am totally lost.
      I use 8 AA batteries.
      What I do wrong?
      How to fix this?
      Thank you.

• By Gryffster
      Hi - I'm a relative newcomer to telescopes with goto - still trying to figure them out.
      I have a problem with Goto on the 8SE.
      Alignment usually works (Not always, but usually)

I believe my set up is correct - time and date, DST and UTC (It's currently BST in the UK)

I usually use 2-star alignment (Currently, most convenient for me are Sirius and Procyon)
      Alignment usually succeeds, but goto just doesn't. The scope slews away, sometimes even to a completely different part of the sky from the selected object (I'm familiar enough with
      the sky to be able to identify several bright stars without assistance)
      Bizarrely, this happens even if the goto object is one of the alignment stars - how could it possibly not be able to find a star when you've explicitly told it where it is?
      I've read that goto sometimes doesn't work well on battery power, so I've aquired a mains adapter. No change.
      I haven't yet updated the handset firmware (I'm waiting for a serial-usb adapter.)
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.