NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AR 2579: growing or disappearing??

Iainp

35 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

the amount of plage activity and filaments masks that in the upper chromosphere

Ah thanks, I hadn't thought of that.  I'll have another go at it this afternoon. 

Very nice image Iain.  AR2579 certainly showed a lot of development since yesterday when I observed early this morning.  I didn't particularly notice it was that much bigger, but it may have grown to some degree.  It certainly showed great detail, despite abysmal seeing.  :smile:

1 hour ago, cshahar said:

I found the same thing

Ah, glad it's not just me then :grin:. I revisited it this afternoon and it was almost invisible (in H-Alpha) yet yesterday both spots showed really well. I'd like to see it tomorrow but there's heavy rain, thunder and lightning here now, which is the price we invariably pay in Britain for a day or two of sun :icon_rolleyes:

I reckon it's fading.  Here are my images from 23rd and 24th. GPCAM2 mono with Quark on TMB105 (650 mm fl). And looking at the Kanzelhöhe Observatory images now, not much left.  It's a very useful resource: https://www.kso.ac.at/index_en.php    And if it's clouded out there, you can generally get an up to date image here: http://halpha.nso.edu/

Cloudy here today so I can't do an image myself to check.

Cheers,

Peter

Spot12579_23August2016.jpg

Spot12579_24August2016.jpg

Archived