New 6mm Ortho

Timebandit

Since i acquired a 7mm BGO I have been trying to get something in the 6mm range the last number of weeks ,but unfortunately without success. As a plan B was required therefore I have been on the lookout for a possible stand in with other orthos out and about. The Ortho  range nowerdays is a bit limited but I have managed to track down a contender. After a bit of research and a few emails with Glen ,the Fujiyama seemed a good place to be at. As I understand there is only a limited new stock in the country at the moment then a decision had to be made promptly. As there was only one 6mm on the shelf left, Glen kindly put this to one side for me and as you can see I am the new owner of a nice little Ortho. What I understand of these eyepieces are they are a quality eyepiece from Japan and have similar characteristics to the old and no longer available BGO. I hope you like my new eyepiece to slot into my case.  

IMG_20160822_123828.jpg

IMG_20160822_123908.jpg

IMG_20160822_124110.jpg

I would like to thank Glen for all his help at Lyra ,and I am sure we wish him all the best in his up and coming retirement.

I got a chance to use my Fujiyama 6mm Ortho last night under some pretty nice skies. I was very happy! I have an 8" SCT and it gives me 333x in it. Stars were nice tight Airy Discs with one bright diffraction ring and a couple of dim ones. The colours were nice, and the eye relief was not a problem for me. The FOV looks a little narrower than my Tele Vue 8mm Plössl but not by too much. Perhaps 45° or so? I took it into the heart of M13 and it was glorious! That sucker is just full of STARS! :) I am looking forward to viewing some planets once they are higher in the sky. Cheers!

Good result from the Fuji 6mm or then :icon_biggrin:

I think the Fuijiyama orthos are all 42 degree AFoV's. All the ones I've used were anyway. They matched the Astro Hutech and Baader Genuine Ortho's pretty much exactly in this respect. The TV plossls are 50 degrees (apart from the 40mm) so not a big difference - 20%

When viewing Polaris, I honestly could not distinguish the view between either my BGO 6mm or Vixen NPL 6mm Plossl...

6mm comparison3.jpg

Afterwards, I went inside, and using a paint programme, "drew" from memory what I had seen through both oculars and through a Celestron C90 Maksutov...

Polaris-062316.jpg

Of course, such was not a true nor the best test between the two.

I have the full range of BGOs, what I term my "planetaries", and stopping at the 12.5mm, as I don't think of anything longer as being a planetary ocular...

planetaries.jpg

I don't even consider the 12.5mm as such, but have always included it when having assembled my UO VT and BGO orthoscopics.

From what I've read, I consider the Fujiyama range the equal of the older BGOs, therefore, enjoy!

2 hours ago, John said:

Good result from the Fuji 6mm or then :icon_biggrin:

I think the Fuijiyama orthos are all 42 degree AFoV's. All the ones I've used were anyway. They matched the Astro Hutech and Baader Genuine Ortho's pretty much exactly in this respect. The TV plossls are 50 degrees (apart from the 40mm) so not a big difference - 20%

I believe you are correct - 42 degrees. Thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been very happy with my fujiyama'ss. I'd originally purchased the Hutech ortho but was disappointed to find they were not parfocal across the range so ended up returning them for the Fujiyama. Ortho just seem to show more for some reason ? not sure if they just generally let more light through or they just excel in contrast but what I do know is some planetary and lunar features are far more obvious in orthos than other eyepieces I have owned. In fact some of the best views of M42 have been through an ortho but obviously the fov becomes a restricting factor to how much of the nebula you can see at any one time.

The Japanese abbe orthos are brilliant performers, even better on a driven mount and if you don't wear glasses when observing :icon_biggrin:

I can see that wide fields could be classed as optional but longer eye relief enables folks who need to wear glasses to enjoy high power viewing and can be more relaxing to use. The Vixen SLV eyepieces that I have compared with quality orthos deliver the same optical performance (they really do) but with 20mm of eye relief and nice large eye lenses.

1 hour ago, John said:

The Japanese abbe orthos are brilliant performers, even better on a driven mount and if you don't wear glasses when observing :icon_biggrin:

I can see that wide fields could be classed as optional but longer eye relief enables folks who need to wear glasses to enjoy high power viewing and can be more relaxing to use. The Vixen SLV eyepieces that I have compared with quality orthos deliver the same optical performance (they really do) but with 20mm of eye relief and nice large eye lenses.

At some point, it comes down to the quality of the polish on the lenses to minimize scatter.  I think the LV/NLV/SLV had/have a very good polish as do the Pentax XL/XW and TV Delos.

Archived