Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steve Ward said:

Would love to help , but am not going to download files unnecessarily just to view an image , attach as a PNG and it will automatically display in the post ...

You will undoubtedly get a better response this way.

ok thanks.

Just done a quick FTS Autostretch on your TIF.

Good news -  the stars are in focus as is M51.

Not so good - You have some serious dust spots on your lens.

and there is an amazing amount of noise in the image.

What ISO did you use ?

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 12.07.21.png

Make sure you tick the box that says "embed changes but do not apply them" and don't do any processing in DSS move the image to PS or Gimp or whatever you use, do a couple of runs of levels and curves and you will see the image coming out.

if you apply the changes that DSS makes you will loose a huge amount of data, don't ask me why but it will not work, and you end up with a grey image with lack of colour....

hope that helps

Bill

The dust bunnies and any vignetting might be reduced if you are able to take some flats to feed into DSS.  If not, centering the image (tricky, I know, with such a faint target) and then cropping it may help.

20 hours ago, RuralBill said:

Make sure you tick the box that says "embed changes but do not apply them" and don't do any processing in DSS move the image to PS or Gimp or whatever you use, do a couple of runs of levels and curves and you will see the image coming out.

if you apply the changes that DSS makes you will loose a huge amount of data, don't ask me why but it will not work, and you end up with a grey image with lack of colour....

hope that helps

Bill

Thanks Bill, i will give that a try.

21 hours ago, RuralBill said:

hope that helps

Bill

When you say no processing does that mean that i don't even align the color channels in DSS?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

When you say no processing does that mean that i don't even align the color channels in DSS?

Thanks.

No, there is no point and you won't be saving the changes anyway, as soon as you have a stacked image, get straight into your processing software of choice, all you want DSS to do is stack the images and NOTHING else, all the data manipulation should be done elsewhere.

regards

Bill

1 minute ago, RuralBill said:

No, there is no point and you won't be saving the changes anyway, as soon as you have a stacked image, get straight into your processing software of choice, all you want DSS to do is stack the images and NOTHING else, all the data manipulation should be done elsewhere.

regards

Bill

That's great Bill, thanks for your help.

On 20/08/2016 at 14:04, RuralBill said:

Don't understand this - if you are using 8-bit GIMP then I recommend you always process first in DSS and save that, otherwise you will lose most of the data (as GIMP tries to compress the full range of the linear data in the 16-bit DSS files down into 8-bits).

NigelM

3 minutes ago, dph1nm said:

Don't understand this - if you are using 8-bit GIMP then I recommend you always process first in DSS and save that, otherwise you will lose most of the data (as GIMP tries to compress the full range of the linear data in the 16-bit DSS files down into 8-bits).

NigelM

I don't understand it as such either but Ollypenrice  agrees with the statement so that's plenty good enough for me. 

I use PS in 16-bit mode for my processing.

Gimp is for 8 bit/channel images, such as jpeg.

Gimp 2.9 can handle 16 bit/channel, but is an unofficial release.

PS can handle 16 bit/channel

Stack in DSS, don't apply changes if you have a program that can handle 16 bit images. If you only have the 8 bit standard version of Gimp (v 2.8 I believe), you will need to stretch in DSS before importing in Gimp.

Hope I have this right, because I don't do it this way anymore. If not, please correct me.

Archived