Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Here is my question

I have the opportunity here to buy a 5 year old heq5 with synscan version 3.35. How were these mounts 5 years ago? Would I better off buying a new eq5 goto instead or is a good purchase to go for the second hand one? I guess what I asking was the heq5 mount 5 years ago as a brand new one is today? 

I intend to put a SW 130pds on it for deep space photography. It's all about budget! 

Thanks for helping 

23 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

5 year old heq5 with synscan

I have a Heq5 goto pro ok I do not use it much and its been good to me. Now do the old synscan have the right set up motors, ect, do do imaging I do not think so , So I be look for the Heq5 pro in white goto . if you going to have to put a new kit in to make it goto that over £300 and the gears may not have the same side hole . So ask do you use it for imaging running by a computer.

8 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

I have a Heq5 goto pro ok I do not use it much and its been good to me. Now do the old synscan have the right set up motors, ect, do do imaging I do not think so , So I be look for the Heq5 pro in white goto . if you going to have to put a new kit in to make it goto that over £300 and the gears may not have the same side hole . So ask do you use it for imaging running by a computer.

A HEQ5 synscan mount is a HEQ5 Pro. It does have the goto motors and motor control boards.

Gerry, my HEQ5 Pro is Pro is nearly twice as old as that one and is still going strong. If the mount has been looked after you shouldn't have any problems.

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

A HEQ5 synscan mount is a HEQ5 Pro. It does have the goto motors and motor control boards.

Gerry, my HEQ5 Pro is Pro is nearly twice as old as that one and is still going strong. If the mount has been looked after you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks Peter I see you coming in on this and nowing what you say will be right  , i can never rember so it clear that one up.:happy7:

26 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

That's brilliant news. The one for sale is black in colour but if it does the same job that's great. I just wondered if there were any improvements on the newer model. Brilliant I'll start negotiations

So now just the scope. Best OTA FOR ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY? Oh and cheap. I was thinking SW 130pds. Would a 150 be too heavy? 

Even a brand new Heq5 benefits hugely from decent bearings and good quality grease. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 5 year old one. Whilst waiting for it to be delivered I would study this

http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm

and bookmark this site

http://simplybearings.co.uk/

and head to your local chandlery for a tub of white marine winch grease or TurboLube

PS - just noticed you are in Italy - ignore the website link but I am sure you will have a good bearing supplier in Italy.

Scope wise - a lot of people have had VERY good results with the 130PDS. There is a thread on here about imaging with the 130 - some stunning results!  I will try to find it for you.

Ciao!

18 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Even a brand new Heq5 benefits hugely from decent bearings and good quality grease. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 5 year old one. Whilst waiting for it to be delivered I would study this

http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm

and bookmark this site

http://simplybearings.co.uk/

and head to your local chandlery for a tub of white marine winch grease or TurboLube

Here is the link. It seems a little scruffy to me. Can you see anything I can't?

http://www.astrosell.it/annuncio.php?Id=72485

Brilliant rebuild site I just hope I don't have to do that with it!

Do you have the possibility to test it, or is it an internet deal?

The mount itself looks good, no obvious faults. But anything showing on pictures would be only cosmetic anyway.

The only way to be sure is to visit the seller and test the mount, since it's the inner workings that are most important.

13 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Do you have the possibility to test it, or is it an internet deal?

The mount itself looks good, no obvious faults. But anything showing on pictures would be only cosmetic anyway.

The only way to be sure is to visit the seller and test the mount, since it's the inner workings that are most important.

Ok so if I meet him and do a test what should I look for? If you can be exhaustive in the list. 

Or do you mean a simple test that all is moving and working? 

The latter. It's impossible to give an exhaustive list. With 2nd hand private deals there are no guarantees. But a 'test drive' will give you an idea of its quality, and hopefully reveal any flaws.

Good luck.

Archived