NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope ordered

OK so i have finally ordered my 1st proper telescope and the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian arrives Monday:hello2:. I can't wait to get started using it either, All the reviews and advice from here leads to think i will have plenty to look forward to(excuse the pun), some advice please everyone, will it make vast improvement to get a barlow lens asap? and what are the improvements from one? Also looked into using a webcam and using laptop for imaging and using "registax"    So am i looking in the right direction and all that. Cheers Steve(Novice) lol 

Good for you, have fun with the new scope! I don't have the knowledge with regard to your type of scope so I can't be helpful with specifics. I would suggest you learn how to use it and get some sessions done before upgrading or accessorizing, it's the only real way to determine what you need.

:happy11:

With regard to barlows, etc. you should Google up how these work, which should also start you on how eyepieces work in combination with your scope and the rest of it.

Enjoy the ride!

Since it's a Dobsonian, the imaging you can do will very much be limited to bright objects, primarily planets. (But let that not keep you from trying to prove me wrong). A Barlow will go well with this kind of target. Apart from that, I would suggest you first use the scope for a while to get to know it and its limitations before investing. You may also look into eyepieces, to see what best will suit your intended targets.. Getting a planet bigger in your eyepiece does not necessarily mean that it also will be a better view. Very much depends on your local viewing conditions (like light pollution and seeing conditions).

Happy hunting with your new scope.

Congratulations - safe to say there will be heavy cloud over Leeds for the next month :clouds1:. Seriously you have a great telescope with tons of potential.

The Skyliner has a focal length of 1200mm and comes with two eyepieces 25 and 10mm which will give magnifications of x48 and x120. I would work with these for the moment, at least for visual observing. This will help you decide whether you want to upgrade the EPs and/or buy a Barlow.

A Barlow essentially increases the focal length of your telescope by a certain factor, for example x2. This effectively increases the magnification of any EP by the same factor. Barlows also have the advantage of maintaining the original eye relief of the EP - for example a 10mm Plossl-design EP used with a x2 Barlow will have more eye relief than a 5mm Plossl used alone. Against the Barlow, it introduces more glass into the optical path, and a cheap, poor quality Barlow can degrade your viewing.

Some Barlows can also be used for some limited photography, linked directly to the camera with an appropriate adapter, but other people can advise better on this.

Good luck!

It's a great scope, you'll see loads and have loads of fun with it. You will probably want to upgrade eyepieces, but spend some time with what you have first off and then see if you can join an Astro Society - I personal vouch for the guys at WADAS (in wakefield) - they will hold observing sessions and most likely let you try out their eye pieces: WARNING: this can be costly when someone lends you an expensive eyepiece and you then decide you must have the whole range :angel9:

I haven't got a barlow, i found it too much messing when swapping bits out and it was cheap so degraded the quality of the view i had from the above mentioned expensive eyepieces. But others use and swear by them.

As for AP, again, have a mosey on down to an astro soc and see what kinds of things they get up to - it seems to me that it isn't something you dabble in, you either got for it with all the kit or you stick to visual. Having said that, there are plenty of wide-field photographers that just use a wind angle camera.

Now, can you do something about those clouds for us? :BangHead:

Brilliant advice as always, Thank you all. I imagine the clouds will be in full effect this week, though we are supposed to have a good warm start to the week so let's see what we get at night, My sons room is in the attic with a nice big skylight so gonna try viewing from there. I will report back my findings if the clouds let me.  

Well done, and happy hunting with the new scope. :)

I've got an f11 frac arriving on Monday, and on Tuesday evening I pick up,a second hand Skytee II to mount it onto, so looking forward to some clear skies to test it all out with later on in the week. So far th forcast seems pretty promising (fingers crossed!) :) 

I'm not saying don't do it, but just be a bit cautious viewing from the attic; heat rises and it's going to be rising right past the front of the telescope from the house below, so you may get a bit of wavey distortion. Outside (on grass) is the best view, but anything that gets you to the scope, is a good start. you'll soon be wanting darker skies and optimising your viewing as best you can :)

I do most of mine from my paved back garden, over house, looking into the LP of town, so far fro the best, but it is the easiest. And then I try and make a trip out to a dark site once every month or two, depending on the weather and the moon.

Lovely scopes and so quick to set up. Just let it stand for a while to cool down when using outside, makes a world of difference to the views. At some point in the future you might want to change the finder for a right angled one, their much easier on the neck and back.

I'm sure you won't regret your purchase :icon_biggrin:

The standard 2X Barlow would take your max mag to 240X which, in my view, is too much for most situations and certainly from an attic where rising heat will be a killer. A generally nice upper limit for regular use would be about 200X. On a Dob you have to track by hand so an EP giving 200x or so and a wide field of view  would be my priority. The wide field of view means you have longer to observe before nudging the mount.

Good star charts are essential. I am not persuaded by the idea that screens dimmed and reddened have no ill effect on your night vision. I am, in fact, entirely persuaded that they do and I only ever use paper, myself.

Olly

It's arrived and put together in less than 30 mins, 1 problem tho, No one told me it would require it's own room in the house lol. Lovely looking Scope it sure is and i cant wait to get looking, Can i just ask what are they like for transporting around in the car as the best choice would be to go out into the Yorkshire countryside and set up for a few hours.

THANKS

On 13 August 2016 at 16:30, rockystar said:

It's a great scope, you'll see loads and have loads of fun with it. You will probably want to upgrade eyepieces, but spend some time with what you have first off and then see if you can join an Astro Society - I personal vouch for the guys at WADAS (in wakefield) - they will hold observing sessions and most likely let you try out their eye pieces: WARNING: this can be costly when someone lends you an expensive eyepiece and you then decide you must have the whole range :angel9:

I haven't got a barlow, i found it too much messing when swapping bits out and it was cheap so degraded the quality of the view i had from the above mentioned expensive eyepieces. But others use and swear by them.

As for AP, again, have a mosey on down to an astro soc and see what kinds of things they get up to - it seems to me that it isn't something you dabble in, you either got for it with all the kit or you stick to visual. Having said that, there are plenty of wide-field photographers that just use a wind angle camera.

Now, can you do something about those clouds for us? :BangHead:

I can vouch for  the gang at  WADAS just keep an eye on the Yorkshire thread

23 minutes ago, noeliam said:

It's arrived and put together in less than 30 mins, 1 problem tho, No one told me it would require it's own room in the house lol. Lovely looking Scope it sure is and i cant wait to get looking, Can i just ask what are they like for transporting around in the car as the best choice would be to go out into the Yorkshire countryside and set up for a few hours.

THANKS

Awwww! We wanted pics! ;) 

7 hours ago, noeliam said:

THANKS

I put the base and accessories in the boot and the scope across the back seat.

Archived