Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sol 22-7-16 11.00

xtreemchaos

just one for the record,shot through thickish cloud. well i belive in showing the ruff with the smooth and this is about as ruff as it gets. "warning dont zoom in as will give you nightmares" 6 frames staxed, Kit- same old. hope you all have better skys than me. charl.sol 22-7-16 11.00 col.pngsol 22-7-16 11.00.png

thanks Steve, regi was having a fit with the cloud mate, and thats about the best i could do after about a hour of messing about, the single frames are very poor, i think i was lucky to get six frames ,its like venus here mate :icon_biggrin:, hope it clears for you, charl.

Give AS!2 a try , much less temperamental than Uncle Reg (esp Reg6) , or use Reg 5.1 and do a "manual align" using a single align point on a 'clear' feature in the AR.

I've managed to stack frames like this with up to 40% cloud obscured disc in the past ... not the prettiest discs but still detailed where it matters.

3 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Give AS!2 a try

tryed it mate, it didnt want to know, it looked like a Jackson Pollock when finnished :icon_biggrin:, i might have a go with  reg 5.1 and manual aline, ive still got a copy on my HD. thanks for your advice mate. charl.

no steve, it was just like loads of discs all over the place, i shoot in mono with sol and add colour fiters in photoshop heres one off the best frames i tryed to stax, very poor with that horrible cloud. thanks charl.

IMG_6270.JPG

crikey thats cloud, you did some fantastic processing to get that image, well done, i dont have much detail in my single frames or that black magic in processing you have :icon_biggrin: i think my frames are well outa focus too, i think im going to leave it as one for the record and hope for better skys tomorrow. thanks charl.

To be honest the most critical thing in capturing detail is nailing the focus , more important than 'scope , filters , mount or processing.

I have the advantage with using a USB controlled motorised focuser that allows me extremely fine adjustment of the focus via the laptop as I am capturing , fine enough to differentiate between the limb and the centre of the disc ( albeit this is probably down to curvature rather than the actual distance difference ) , all from the comfort of the shade without going within 10 yards of the rig. Turns the 10:1 into something nearer 100:1 using one click either way.

I would never be able to replicate this manually , have the motors on all my 'scopes and interchange the control unit as required.

The best investment I ever made.

yer steve i agree ,focus is everything, im just waiting on a new 1in 10 crayford focuser to be delivered from flo, i still have the standard focuser on my st120 and its a nightmare, its more luck than judgement, i do all my solar imaging from indoors due to lupus but have been thinking of the motorised focuser mod ,then i could set up out doors early and do it all over wifi, at the moment i have 1.5 hours of when sols in range and when its cloudy it can boil down to a few secs to get my shots.  charl.

Just need to fit the Skywatcher motor to it and run a long extension to the handset that comes with it.

This won't give you quite the precise control that I have but it allows you fine adjustment without needing to try and adjust the focuser by hand while craning your neck trying to monitor the screen , will eliminate a considerable proportion of the frustration.

2 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

"warning dont zoom in as will give you nightmares"

I did, I did, and now my eyes hurt! :happy7: Seriously, well done getting anything. I've spent too long today trying to bag something through the clouds and awful seeing. Got lucky a couple of times (just about to post the 'best' of the  bunch) 

Iain 

3 minutes ago, Iainp said:

2 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

"warning dont zoom in as will give you nightmares"

I did, I did, and now my eyes hurt!

thanks Iain, if ya put it in writing and send it to my cat Smegul ,he will arrange compensation " hope you like dreames" :happy7: i look forward to you post.  charl.

Archived