Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Experiment with morphing AR 2565

Iainp

There's a free plugin for GIMP which allows you to create morphing between 2 frames. It's a bit time consuming, as all points need to be specified in the start and finish frame but it's an interesting effect. Here's the result with the big spot 2565 using my image from the 11th and from today 12th.  I think this has possibilities! 

Iain 

12thcc.gif

3 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

So what's the Plug-In called ... ?

Thanks all. Steve it's part of a package called GAP ( the Gimp Animation Package ) Version 2.6.  I got it from this site, but please do your own checks re safety! (The software is safe, but I can't vouch for the download site, I mean) As I remember, you install the  whole package at once. It has lots of superb and useful features.  The morphing tool appears in the Video tab of the tool bar. Any problems or if you'd like a tutorial let me know. Regards, Iain   http://photocomix-resources.deviantart.com/art/GAP-2-6-for-Gimp-2-6-Windows-135464357

Like that Iain, must have a go. Would be interesting to put together some animations and compare with what comes  out of this plug-in using just the first and last images in the sequence. Unlikely to ever get enough clear skies to pull that off though :rolleyes:

Thanks again all good luck Steve, I've been through the pain barrier with this and other software, so do let me know if I can save you any pain! David, yes, it can be a really accurate and powerful transformation, or more about guess work depending on the 2 images.  I'm just about to post another, and i'll include the screen shot of the points selection to show what I mean. Cheers,

Iain 

Thanks Charles, glad you like the effect!  More Art than Science but still revealing I think.  I mean, it doesn't provide any more information than was already there, but does show it in a new way, when it works well.  Normally it doesn't work so well when there's significant movement between the frames, as you get "ghosts" of the first image trailing behind the move to the new one, but it's come out fine with this one. 

Iain 

Archived