Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 8 inch Newtonian

One problem with this hobby is the constant urge to upgrade! I’m currently using a skymax 127 mak and really like it, especially for the portability and ease of use. However, I keep thinking a little bit more aperture would be really nice, as would an EQ mount. My budget wont strech to much over £500, so I’m looking at a couple of 8 inch Newtonians, the Skywatcher 200P on the HEQ5 motorised mount, or the Celestron C8-NGT with a GoTo mount (but I’m indifferent to the GoTo function since I enjoy having to search out the objects I’m wanting to view). I’d be interested in any comments from users of either of these telescopes - I’ve previously always used (and liked) Skywatcher equipment but some recent posts in this forum have made me have second thoughts.

The 200P on an HEQ5 would be my choice..

The handset would be upgradable to GOTO at a later date if you so wish, an easy upgrade which I have done myself..

I used to have that set up and had excellent results..

HTH

Greg

Greg

The Skywatcher is still the best buy here, good optics (I have just acquired a second hand 8" Skywatcher Newtonian and it is a beauty!) but the HEQ5 is a better mount than the CG5 and much more suitable for the large 8" 'scope.

As Greg says, the HEQ5 can be upgraded to GoTo later if you want to go down that route so it has future proofing too. There has been some bad publicity recently but a happy ending concluded that episode and generally Skywatcher gear has a good reputation - its all I use!

I have a C8N that was originally bought with the CG5GT mount and AFAIK, it's the same scope as the skywatcher just with a different mount. There's plenty of threads about what each mount is like but I sold the CG5 to get an EQ6 :). If GOTO isn't necessary for you, then get the SW200 with the HEQ5. It's a better mount, simple as that.

Tony..

If you have no plans to do astrophotography, I would recommend a dob - you will easily fit a 10" into your budget, maybe even a 12"... These will show you even more than an 8" will.

just MHO. If I knew how complicated/expensive astrophotography was going to be, I would have gone for a large dob from the very start. However, I was naive and persisted, so settled for an 8" newt. It's taken me hundreds of pounds and over a year to get taking astro shots, when I could have had a 16" dob, saved some cash and had much more enjoyment visually. That's just my experience though.

Oh! And they are more portable than you think! It takes just as long, if not quicker, to set up a 12" dob than an 8" EQ mounted scope. Cool-down time is longer though.

Andrew

My first scope was/is a 8" on an HEQ5 mount and the only complaint I have is that it's not enough aperture - but then I think I will always say that with whatever scope I buy. If you can't afford a 12" on an EQ6 then go for the SW 8" on the HEQ5 - awesome setup.

IMHO the dob option can be frustrating especially when viewing stuff at high magnifications as you'll have to continually readjust where it's pointing - an EQ mount that moves with the sky just makes things so much easier.

Sam

As the person having created the posts about Sky-Watcher quality I feel I should put in a plea for the defence here....

The fact is my SW 200P was a nightmare, the 2nd was was about the same BUT and its a very big 'BUT' once OVL were made aware rather than the dealer things got better quickly. Now that the scope is sorted I have grown to love it and I am really glad I decided to 'tough it out' and not go got the Celestron C8 NGT which is a CG5 mount with GoTo.

The HEQ5 mount is superb I think. I havent had much chance to see much with the 200 apart from Jupiter a week or so ago and a few widefield stabs just to test out collimation. From what I have seen its going to be good news.

I think to be honest I was probably unlucky plus the dealer was somewhat indifferent to the issues and I suspect out of their depth. OVL jumped in to resolve the issues and I am a lot happier about it all now than 2-3 weeks ago.

Like you I am indifferent to the GoTo capabilities / auto guiding as I will spend more time observing than anything else and I enjoy the hunt for things.

Anyway I should rest assured that even if ( worst case scenario ) you do get problems OVL will be willing to sort it all out for you.

You should cosnisder size though - the SW200P and HEQ5 ia a pretty hefty bit of kit. For me its the maximum I could deal with as I need to stay portable. Much beyond the SW200 would be impossible for me really.

"axolotl"

I have the Skywatcher 200mm on the HEQ5 (motorised) mount. It's a very satisfying and versatile set up. Good views on the planets, and starfields. Galaxies and Nebula are going to be faint on the 8," but are "seeable."

The beauty of the HEQ5 mount, is that is tracks whatever you are looking at - and keeps it in the field of view. If I'm going in for a cup of tea, or to answer the phone, I slip in a 25mm eyepiece and the object I've been looking at is still in the field of view an hour later!

I bought my scope from "First Light Optics." I had a problem with the mount, (it had a severe vibration which made viewing at high power almost impossible). Steve from First Light Optics, sorted it out immediately. He arranged for an exchange new mount. I've not had any problems with either mount or scope since.

I would recommend the Skywatcher 8" on the HEQ5 mount. (Just buy from a reputable dealer!).

Regards,

philsail1

Well, the guys have made a fine recomendation with the 200p on HEQ5.. why not the Skyliner 200P dob?. fantastic for the money, easy to move around for DSO hunting & viewing at low power. Keep the 127 for planets & globs.

Rob

Thanks everyone for your comments, it seems to be an overwhelming victory for the Skywatcher. Thanks also to Astro_Baby for clarifying the situation re the Skywatchers 200s that you had to deal with - I read your posts and was impressed by the effort you put in to trying to make these scopes work, knowing that I wouldn't myself have a clue as to how to attempt the various adjustments you were performing, I can just about collimate a reflector but otherwise for me it needs to come out of the box in working order. Glad to know though that you now have a telescope that is working well, sounds like it was just a bit of bad luck to get two rogue scopes.

Thanks also to those who suggested a Dob. I'd wondered about these but want to have the option of using my next scope for astrophotography so will go for an EQ mount. I'm a little concerned about the size of the SW200 - my house seems especially designed to prevent large telescopes from being easilly moved around but I guess I will have to live with that and I can sell my existing SW130PM (and as someone said, keep the 127 Mak for Planetary work) to make a bit more room.

Thanks again for your suggestions - now I just have to wait to the next pay day and find a way of breaking the news to my Partner!

... once OVL were made aware rather than the dealer things got better quickly. ... OVL jumped in to resolve the issues and I am a lot happier about it all now than 2-3 weeks ago. ... rest assured that even if ( worst case scenario ) you do get problems OVL will be willing to sort it all out for you.
OVL are Skywatcher's UK importers and distributors to the trade. As Mel has said, they are a reliable and conscientious company that are a pleasure to deal with. But, it is worth noting that after-sales service should come from or through your dealer, not directly from the importer. If a dealer refers you to the importer or hides behind them when things go wrong, then in my opinion that is poor service. Sorry if that seems a bit strong (I say it knowing that Mel hasn't revealed who the dealer is) but I have heard recently, from members, of incidents where dealers have side-stepped their responsibilities or blamed the importer for their own unwillingness to deal with an issue. It isn't fair on the customer, or for that matter on the importer.

Amen to that Steve, a large portion of my frustration was caused by the dealer and it ended up with me venting a fair bit, getting all emotional and taking it out on OVL who in retrospect didn't really deserve to get a newly signed up member of the society for insane chicks on their case. :)

Archived