Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

July 9th - H Alpha - Never Say Never !!!!

paulastro

Mmm, after posting earlier that it was raining cats and dogs and that I didn't have a cat in hells chance of seeing the sun today (all forecasts I looked at indicated it would rain for the rest of the day also), and yes, you've guessed it!.  Early afternoon I could see where the sun was because of a little brightening, and eager to prolong my run if possible I set up at 2.00 pm.  It was 100% cloud, a strong breeze with frequent flurries of rain when I had to cover the scope up.  For over two hours I snapped a pic whenever I could see the disk through a thinning, around 150 pics and nothing worthwhile.  Then, amazingly at 4.00 pm it thinned more around the sun (still over 80% heavy cloud) until it even looked a little blue.  For a minute or two I had virtually clear sky around he sun.  I managed to get something worthwhile at last.  As I write this it's 100% heavy cloud with rain in the air.  If it can clear on a day like this then there's always hope!!

Some nice prominences on the W limb and lots of detail on the disk with some nice active areas, particularly around the E limb. Single frame with Lunt 60 DS, Olympus E-M10, 4.10 pm, 500 asa on 1/80 sec. The prominence disk and crop are the same frame with different processing.

P7090261g.jpgP7090261h.jpgP7090261j.jpg

2 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

how am i going to beat you when you keep moving the goalposts :icon_biggrin:, 22 in a row,well done, you be aiming for a month in a row now eh. great shots Paul, nothing here but cloud, hope you get 23 tomorrow.thanks charl.

Many thanks charl.  I'm quite happy to have had such a good run, so anything else is a bonus.  I'm hoping you have a good run so you can keep me up to date on the white light developments.  :icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Well done for persevering well worth it for the results.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I was pleased to get a decent view of the active areas in the end.  The active area closest to the east limb looks as if it has plenty to offer us.

46 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Another great set Paul. No chance here under a solid blanket of cloud.

Thanks David.  From what I remember of the weather forecast earlier the S looked better tomorrow, I hope you are blessed with some clear skies.

Many thanks Michael.  I hope you have clear skies for the rest of the weekend.

42 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Glad you managed to get some data after all. Well done and some nice detail captured

59 minutes ago, Lowjiber said:

Nice work, Paul.

Twenty-two in a row!!!  Now, that's dedication.  Congratulations, and many more.

Thanks for sharing.

Many thanks, that's  very kind of you.  It's now 23 after this morning's (Sunday) session. :icon_biggrin:

Archived