Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focusing

I am thinking how I can improve my focus now I am using precise goto it takes me to the nearest star to the object I wish to view, so if I can get good focus on that particular star before I slew to the object it will be a improvement  , any thoughts on me using a Bhatinov mask ?   

I always used to zoom right in with my DSLR and just keep trying to get sharp focus until I got a mask. Made focusing my 200p so much easier. 

Now if I buy a new scope I buy the correct bahtinov mask to go with it. No point guessing focus when I can get perfect focus without spending too much time especially since imaging time here in the UK is so precious 

Hi Mark

As stated if manual the Bhatinov mask (get the correct model- yes i have made that mistake :) ) is the best solution if manual focusing.

Digressing a little and not relevant if visual you could by a robotic focus motor and controller for your set up second hand for quite reasonable prices.  I sounds daunting, not that long ago i sat there wondering what to do next but it is the best method by far.

Obtain a rough focus - run some focus curves so the software understand the characteristics of your system.  The press 'Go' - job done every time far, far more accurately than could be done by eye.

Bhatinov is the best route for visual.

Paddy

Archived