NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New focusser reveals many Saturnian moons

Last night was my first time out with the 8SE since installing the new feathertouch focusser. I just wanted to get out and see something (I've had far too much inertia in recent months), so I just used the 8SE visually, with no computer/Cdc available at the time.

In respect of the new focusser, first thing to say is that the instructions were easy to follow, and if I can do it anyone can. My #1 concern was had I completely fouled-up the scope by making a structural alteration - always a likely result where I am concerned. The replacement instructions end by stating the focussing is likely to be quite a long way out at first. They are not wrong! I started on Jupiter and could see absolutely nothing. Inevitably, I started by turning the focussing knob in completely the wrong direction. Turn, turn, turn, bonk as I hit the end. Reverse direction and many turns later, Jupiter swept into view. Relief! Furthermore, using the fine-tune knob, it became very easy to focus using the moons, which were all nicely spread out. Jupiter, however, was not best-placed, being right next to one of the new "brighter, whiter" led streetlights. That said, I could see more on the surface than I expected.

So, move on to Mars - disappointing red blob. Unsure if focus was moving as scope moved, I tried making small adjustments to the focus to no great avail. OK, Mars is always a challenge, so move on to Saturn.

As mentioned above, I did not have my computer/CdC on,so I'm now going to be indulgent, and go through the notes I made at the scope, with some subsequent clarification bracketed []. One initial comment - when viewing Saturn with rings open, I refer to it as an ellipse with a major axis ("maj") and a minor axis ("min") to describe positions.

23/06/2016 23:00 [2200 UT]
Saturn central, faint star L field [actually Iapetus]
6 points which may be moons, all R of min
a: brightest, 40 deg below maj, ?Titan [actually HD 150259]
b: fainter, 30 deg above maj, fainter and further out [than a], ??Iapetus [actually Titan]
4 points closer [to Saturn], almost forming an arrow-head
c: below, close, [on the] line [from Saturn] to a [UCAC4-348-084121 & Enceledus v close to each other @3.3"]
d: along maj [Tethys]
e: above maj, slightly R of perp[endicular to maj] from c [Rhea]
f: between d & e, not quite in line (further out), noticeably closer to d [Dione]
2 much fainter points susp[ected] closer than these 4, ?imagination [The positions of these points (from memory this morning) seem to coincide with Mimas (above) and Janus(!) below.]

I have never before seen more than 2 Saturnian moons at any time, so last evening's event, showing at least 5 and possibly 8 moons, I find to be a dramatic improvement.

Just goes to show what easy, accurate focussing can achieve.

Excellent result! I'm a great believer in good quality dual speed focusers. I first got into them when doing white light solar where I found precise focus makes a huge difference. I've subsequently appreciated their use in planetary and lunar observing too.

I've managed five moons in the 4" before, a lot of it is to do with low scatter, good contrast and.... precise focus.

Nice one ?

It is always surprising what difference precise fine focusing can make to detecting faint stars/planets or splitting very close doubles! When I was exactly in focus two nights ago, I could see 5 Saturnian moons including one at mag 13.3; slightest focus error and a couple disappeared. 

Chris

Archived