NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nice!

16 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=114255

Not everyones cup of tea, but it certainly is for some :) 

Nice scope! I had the F13 version back in the mid 80s and as a planetary scope it was excellent, and very good on dso's too. When I first bought it I proudly took it round to a friend's house to show him. He was observing Saturn with his 8.5" Newtonian when I arrived. He was a firey character and after looking through the Vixen he kicked his garden gate off its hinges and went into his house swearing. Not quite knowing what had just happened i waited for about 15 minutes, thinking he would come out again but he didn't. When I went into his house he was stood in his kitchen still cursing. "That's a :cussing:good telescope! " he kept repeating. I never saw his 8.5" Newt after that. He told me that some passers bye had vandalised it. I'm not sure that was the complete truth! :angry5:

Mike :icon_biggrin:

hahaha! that's a cracking astronomy story. Yes these long focus fracs cut through UK seeing like a laser scalpel lol

So i'm guessing his poor Newtonian might have got the same treatment as the gate!? :(

1 hour ago, John said:

Lovely looking scope but probably undermounted on the standard Polaris mount.

Yeah, I reckon it would be a right job trying to elliminate vibrations on a scope this long, probably better on something like a Skytee.

Back in the 1980's Vixen made scopes for Celestron. The Celestron version of the 4" F/15 was on a more stable looking mount though. Those were the days of the "Celestron Girls" too :rolleyes2:

post-12764-133877737349.jpg

12 minutes ago, John said:

Back in the 1980's Vixen made scopes for Celestron. The Celestron version of the 4" F/15 was on a more stable looking mount though. Those were the days of the "Celestron Girls" too :rolleyes2:

Everything about this ad is awesome! lol

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

hahaha! that's a cracking astronomy story. Yes these long focus fracs cut through UK seeing like a laser scalpel lol

So i'm guessing his poor Newtonian might have got the same treatment as the gate!? :(

I feel certain it met the same messy end! I never took another scope to him after that. He now has a 16" Newtonian, british made, that looks like a rusty old bed frame. I haven't the heart to show him the moon or Jupiter through my little Tak. His reaction would make an amusing, X rated, video, but he's now quite elderly and has a bad heart, so it's probably best not to push him over the edge. :evil4:

Mike

22 minutes ago, John said:

???Heavenly!

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I feel certain it met the same messy end! I never took another scope to him after that. He now has a 16" Newtonian, british made, that looks like a rusty old bed frame. I haven't the heart to show him the moon or Jupiter through my little Tak. His reaction would make an amusing, X rated, video, but he's now quite elderly and has a bad heart, so it's probably best not to push him over the edge. :evil4:

Mike

No definately don't take the Tak. Lets try and keep his blood pressure nice and low :grin:

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

A "Hargreaves strut" would go a long way to improving the OTA stability.   :icon_biggrin:

Luckily i know what a hargreave strut is but it always puts me in mind of a sixties dance, yes that Vixen is going to be a super planet frac

2 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Luckily i know what a hargreave strut is but it always puts me in mind of a sixties dance, yes that Vixen is going to be a super planet frac

Jules, for some reason I can just picture you performing the Hargreaves Strut ??

Lovely scope, I've never looked through a larger aperture f15 scope, only my Carton 60 which gave bad floaters for me at higher power so I think a 4" would be substantially nicer for a whole variety of reasons.

Archived