Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last Night's Seeing

CraigT82

Hi all, had a quick lunar session last night, which was the first time in weeks I've seen any clear sky!  

Fromhere in London the seeing was superb, I spent most of my time with Barlowed BCO 10mm giving me a crystal clear 270x, but for short spells I even Barlowed a 6mm giving me 451x! This is the highest mag I can get out of my EP collection and the image was still good-a little soft with plenty moments of sharpness- if a little dim. 

I spent most of my time observing the area around Copernicus and for the first time noticed the craterlets on the floor of the crater 'Gay-Lussac', just to the north of Copernicus. I've never noticed these before, though I'm not sure if that's because I've overlooked them or just haven't been able to resolve them. 

There were quite visible at 200x with a 6mm ortho, and upon swapping for a 6.5mm Morpheus they weren't quite so visible but just about detected. 

I think from now on I'm going to use the detection of these craterlets as a test for good seeing and sharp optics! 

Unfortunately a grumpy spouse cut short my session (damage control) so I didn't get to make full use of the clear sky. But it was a worthwhile session as it was.

Does anyone know the size of these crater lets on the floor of Gay-Lussac?

Anyone else get a good steady clear sky last night? 

Craig

PS screenshot from app attached. Gay-Lussac is in the centre.

image.png

Nice report. I had decent clear spells in East Yorkshire and grabbed the opportunity as like everyone else, skies have been cloudy for weeks. Had an hour or so but dew was a problem last night. Tried eyepiece projection photography at my highest magnification of 10mm through 2x Barlow of the moon. Will check results later, pictures bend a lot at the edges so I will have to crop a lot to get decent shots. 

It was just great to be out there messing around though ?

Just now, CraigT82 said:

Sorry Michael that's not my image, it's s screenshot from an App to show which crater I'm taking about! 

Should have read more closely :blush:

You had an excellent session, anyway. I think some of that seeing has crossed the channel, and sat over Groningen this morning. I have never captured such sharp Ca-K solar data

I took my first photos with my new SLR last night, (I've been going on about it on the beginners astrophotography thread), I'm quite pleased, but I hope to do better. I've been told to lower the ISO, but in the dark I couldn't figure out how to do it. I was faffing around, if I'm honest. I think I did well to get what I got.

Moon2.jpg

Annoyingly, I've lost my Phillips moon map.

Thanks, I took some more last night, I'll have a look at them on the PC later. I'm really starting to appreciate the moon now I can look at the photos and learn the names of the different areas. I've started a 'Moon book' to put my pictures in.

I was reading in Norton's 2000, (mine's an old copy from the 90's), that when there are two impact craters, it's mostly always a smaller one on top of a bigger one, if that makes sense. That means the big craters are older, which suggests the solar system was a lot more dangerous place back then.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing here in the South West was excellent too. Rock solid with none of the usual boiling soup, great views of Plato, the terminator over Copernicus always stunning and the southern highlands just being so much to take in. Glad it weren't just me! ! Btw I can't imagine those craterlets being more than a km or two, Gay-Lussac is only 26

Archived