Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any comments on the 27mm Panaoptic

Pig

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pig said:

Very nice indeed Derek, I was looking at these at the Astrofest earlier in the year. They are very nice indeed :drunken_smilie:

I am trying to be very patient waiting on my VX12 to be built. It isn't easy :rolleyes2:

46 minutes ago, Pig said:

LoL it is amazing how they tempt you though .... I keep looking at them and rubbing my hands with wild delight

frog.jpg

If you don't have an Ethos yet, my serious suggestion would be to just get a single one at first. Worst case, you'd have a quality eyepiece but be underwhelmed and think we are nuts. Other worst case, you'd need no further provocation from us...

:happy11:

7 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Hey Shaun, are you going to travel much with the dob or will it primarily be used at home?

I think It would have to be mainly a travel scope Gerry until I move to a darker location, unless I opt for a12". Its not to bad where I am but I would have assess it when it happens.

1 minute ago, Pig said:

I think It would have to be mainly a travel scope Gerry until I move to a darker location, unless I opt for a12". Its not to bad where I am but I would have assess it when it happens.

Its a hard call for what to do... big aperture truss or medium sized (VX14) tube scope... My big heavy truss is very stable and the wheel barrow handles are the best. Can you wheel the lower end up a ramp using the wheelbarrow handles into your vehicle? If so a classic design truss is a great option.

My AWD is pretty long when the rear seats are folded down, I don't think I would have too much trouble as the back end isn't over high so as long as I don't go silly and buy the VLT I should be ok.

Shaun if you can easily wheel the rocker/mirror box in as a unit the classic truss is a great option, it sounds like you can do this- make sure though. It only takes 5 mins to set up my scope and collimate the primary- the sec never needs adjusting. Another question is how big? what FOV do you want and what is your own maximum exit (entrance) pupil etc?

For bright nebs like the Veil, M57,M27 and those in Sag the FOV doesn't matter as much, but for some really big ones like the NAN etc a bit larger FOV is nice and is why I use the 30ES 82 with its 1.3 deg TFOV for them. This doesn't matter with galaxies really.

So now that we have picked your scope, your DSO EP (21E) can we now pick your lunar/planetary eyepiece(s)?:grin:

9 hours ago, DRT said:

I agree. Don't forget the 8mm, 6mm, 4.7mm & 3.7mm - all of them stunning when seeing allows :grin:

More seriously, a second hand 2x TV Powermate in good condition would be an excellent investment whilst you build your set of Ethi :wink:

I would still have a Powermate but unfortunately it could no longer fit in the case :lol: ...

DRT-case.jpg

Nothing like rubbing salt into open wounds Derek, lovely collection, I still fancy the 4.7mm but we have had so much bad weather of late I dare not risk it.

Alan

Archived