Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new Obs progress

robindurant

Hi

I finally bit the bullet and decided to build a Roll-Off Obs and with help from Trev, Helen and some others I have made some progress which I have shown with these Pics. It will be different in respect that the roof will roll off sideways. I must now wait up to 5 weeks for the my specially designed shed parts to arrive but meanwhile I have the pier in so I can at least carry on viewing and imaging, I will post the final result in due course.

Robin

6910_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tree to left removed 4 hours work

6913_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Paving down

6915_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ruddy great hole

6916_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Finally in 6 bags of concrete

6917_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Close up showing Gary's super Pier top

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's looking really good Robin, and at least you can use the pier while the shed is built (even that makes a big difference in observing/imaging time at this time of year!).

I know what you mean about tree removal. I spent 3 days removing the shrubs from my garden - you can see why they rarely blow over :)

All the best with the next bit!

Helen

Hi Robin,

That looks great, I do like that scope mate.... :)

I notice that you are not using all the holes on the base of the pier top, is that the way you intend to use it? I would defo recomend you put in the other bolts.

Keep the obsy pics coming, all the talk on here of obsy builds might just push me to do it.

Cheers,

Gary

Looking very good indeed, Robin, you certainly won't regret having a good mount for the pier and when the Observatory is protecting it all, it really does make a huge difference to your enjoyment of the whole thing. I hope you get fully up and running soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg

This Obs was my own design and I have drawings I made for the Shed Builder which you are welcome to. There were difficulties we had to overcome which information will be valuable to anyone erecting one, I learned from others like Helen and I hope other will learn from me. The main thing to remember is that it is Bl....dy hard work but rewarding. Let me know if you want help.

Robin

PS I will be posting the final result images tomorrow,

Hi Robin,

That looks fantastic mate really nice job ! .

you should get alot more enjoyment out of the hobby now.

And seeing what youve done has inspired me to bite the bullet and build a obs as im still lugging the whole set out every time so if theres any chance of those drawings mate ??.

regards chris

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished. I thought you may like to see the finished result. Note the Red seat which can be in the shade when the roof is rolled back.

Now can I have some clear nights to test it out.

Robin

7682_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

That's a nice finish Robin, Re the red seat shade (roof) wont be needed as it will be night :hello2:

Jeff.

Archived