Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UK Spaceport....

laser_jock99

....looks like it's official Government policy to build one now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/queens-speech-live-driverless-and-electric-cars-faster-broadband-and-spaceports_uk_573c455be4b058ab71e5fc3a

Hope they don't pick Llanbedr- could do without all the additional light pollution/traffic/high level contrails etc that would entail!!

I'm not convinced by the favoured  location.  If we are going to be competing with other countries (who will undoubtedly be looking to build similar facilities) then communications links and infrastructure are critical.  If you were a wealthy space tourist would you want to spend ages getting down to Newquay or would you rather go somewhere easier to get to.  If you were a technical person would you rather take a job down in Newquay (think of all the crowds in summer) or somewhere else (given that the UK has a shortage to techies these days so it gets competitive for employers.

I suspect France (and others) would also be looking to build a European Hub, etc. so we wont have exclusivity.

Ian

While the British monarch is deemed to be a-political (the monarchy keep their personal views close to their chest), It was lovely to see the Queen comment on her hopes of the British Space Agency (BSA) making such strives. 

I am all behind it. Britain is one of the richest,most powerful countries in the world and can afford it.........if government budget allows it. I cant see why Britain can not have as strong a government paid for body as the Americans have in NASA.

The ESA is fantastic but i thing the UK could have a very strong space program all of their own.

22 hours ago, Kropster said:

It has to be as close to the equator as we can manage, so obviously the Isle of Wight must be the favoured location!

The Black Night testing area would be ideal ;-)

23 hours ago, Kropster said:

It has to be as close to the equator as we can manage, so obviously the Isle of Wight must be the favoured location!

Interesting point and makes one wonder if the UK is in a particularly strong position if/when other countries also decide to construct their own spaceports.  But we do have "Crown Dependencies" somewhat further south ...

Ian

On 18/05/2016 at 22:16, Kropster said:

Has the IoW broken loose and drifted south then???  Has the anchor chain broken??  :D:D

On 18/05/2016 at 22:16, Kropster said:

Wasn't there a 'secret' rocket launch facilityy there in the 50's & 60's anyway?

45 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Wasn't there a 'secret' rocket launch facilityy there in the 50's & 60's anyway?

I think it might have just been an engine testing facility. It was on a tv programme about Britain's space efforts.

Quite difficult to keep rocket testing a 'secret' though!

11 hours ago, Gina said:

Has the IoW broken loose and drifted south then???  Has the anchor chain broken??  :D:D

Last year i was on a very big cruise ship which left Southampton and sailed between Southampton and the IOW. Its not a big distance. I could easily swim it in about 20 mins.

Its like a river.

Ascension Island would work. A British Island with a 3km long runway 6 degrees south of the Equator.

Interesingly the runway was extended by NASA in the 1970's to be an emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle. It was never used.

17 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Yes, round by the Needles battery; used for testing Black Arrow and Black Knight rocket engines

Archived