NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun - 9th May 2016 Transit of Mercury

David Smith

After much anticipation today was not as good as I hoped but not as bad as I feared weather wise. Woke up to cloud which persisted right up to and through 1st contact. Clouds broke a little just before 2nd contact and were then intermittent throughout the afternoon until around 17:30. After that solid cloud followed by rain which prompted a rather hasty packing-up!

Consequently my image haul is significantly less then I had planned but I am glad to have something to show for it.

White light full disks taken with the DSLR. This first one was a single frame shot in between passing clouds.

WL_FD_1215UT_Mono.png

These two are the usual stacked images.

WL_FD_1305UT_Mono.png

WL_FD_1450UT_Mono.png

White Light close ups taken with QHY5

20160509_AR_Mercury.png

20160509_AR_Mercury_1.5x.png

Ca-K 6Pane FD Mosaic taken at 14:20 UT

20160509_CaK_6PaneFD.png

20160509_CaK_6PaneFDMono.png

Their are some false colour versions of the white light disks on Flickr (link below) and I hope to put them into an animation of sorts when I get chance.

I hope you managed to get a look and thanks for looking.

Lovely set of images David. Sorry the weather was not great for you. Wall to wall sunshine here all day with nice seeing. A bit of a wind which might have proved difficult for imagers. I followed the whole transit. Drew a few sketches and enjoyed my day.

Archived